I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)'s Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

I love to read books that show strong characters who prevail in the face of adversity--it's even sweeter when the characters are real. This is a great memoir that is tragic, but at times-funny-- about a family of 2 adults and 4 children. The children are herded all over the country by their kooky parents. With no life purpose other than personal enjoyment and pleasure, Rex and Rose Mary Walls lead their children in a nomadic life demonstrating no responsibility or ownership for...well, anything.

Rex and Rose Mary really had no business have one child, much less four. There were so many aspects to the lives of the Walls family that I cannot even fathom--really, I am not exaggerating when I say that the hits just kept on coming. I wanted to scream at the mother: GET. A. GRIP. LADY! Rose Mary is described as eccentric--I would describe her as mentally unstable, selfish, ego-centrical, abusive...need I continue?

I can't imagine living in such horrendous conditions. How did these children survive, much less prevail under a total lack of responsible adult supervision? How on earth does this woman, Jeannette still speak with such love and adoration about her parents? This book infuriates me, but also warms my heart to realize that such unconditional love really does exist--she is a much better person than I.

✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

___________________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.