Joyzi's Reviews > The Little Prince

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, children-s, classics, fiction, fantasy, reviewed, philosophy, 1001-books, 100-books-tfg
Recommended to Joyzi by: Dara
Recommended for: Kiddos
Read on January 28, 2010

I really like the drawing and I've learned a lot from it. It's a good book and I really like the part when they define the word "ephemeral." It's a cute story and I think it fits more to children.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prince.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tintin Oh, I see you've read 'The Little Prince' which is my favorite book. I've been wanting to see what people, (especially the younger ones) think about it so I'm glad to see your review :) It's also a plus that you're from the Phils. like me :)

You see in my opinion 'The Little Prince' is really a for-adult book parading as a children's book. The language is so simple and the little prince so cute one can be easily deceived. It can be read by children of course, but it takes a deeper level of maturity to truly understand it. Otherwise it would only seem like a bizaare and cute fairy tale. This is based on my personal experience, having first read the book when I was 13, then 17, and every year afterward. I suggest you reread it in a few years when you have gained a different perspective - you might see it in a new light :)

Joyzi I'm already 17 years old when I first read it. I just happen to find it in the library and my first thought was it was a nice, quick, cute story and I really don't try to decipher the symbolisms. So the reader might be the problem because I'm not really into symbolisms.

Tintin I am not much into symbolism either, but even on my first read (when I didn't have much of an opinion of it) I thought most of the symbolism was straightforward (like the person in each planet, for example. And the baobabs). More than the symbolism (which I admit I am not all that good at), I guess what I really liked about The Little Prince is the philosophical perspective. And that became apparent to me only as I got older and formed the same philosophical questions myself, hence my suggestion that you reread it again in a few years :)