Buggy's Reviews > Be Mine Tonight

Be Mine Tonight by Kathryn Smith

May 15, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-rom, shelf-10, hist-rom, vampalicious
Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy

Opening Line:" It was obvious the door was not meant to be opened."

This is one of those books that you either love or hate and while I didn’t love this it did manage to redeem itself enough so that in the end I didn’t hate it either. Set in 1899 (which for some reason I didn’t know until I started reading) Kathryn Smith knows her stuff when it comes to writing a historical. The attention given here to the clothing, home trappings, servants and ones status all make for a rich and well written novel. However my mind wandered… a lot, as I grew bored with a story that took forever to get going and conversations that had as much internal dialogue as spoken word. I also felt that Smith was unsure of where to take her story; giving us hints of a great protagonist but never utilizing him, removing central characters for no apparent reason and throwing in several erotic sex scenes which were appreciated but felt gratuitous.

The story begins in 1307 with a group of King Philips soldiers locating what they believe to be the Holy Grail and drinking from it. In actuality they have stumbled across something truly evil and its contents have now transformed them into blood lusting, sun sensitive immortals or Smith's version of Vampires. Travelling forward we enter England in 1899 and are introduced to Prudence who along with her friend Marcus is on a hunt for the lost Holy Grail. Pru’s quest is somewhat personal for she hopes that the Grail will prolong her life and cure her inoperable cancer.

Prudence lives with her family in the English countryside and it’s at the family manor that the entire book takes place. Starting at a dinner party Pru is introduced to Chapel who works for the church and has come to visit out of interest for the Grail. Chapel although charming is your typical self loathing Vampire, thinking he’s a monster and certain he’s going to hell (yawn) I did however like him because he’s sexy and also just tortured enough to capture my attention. Of course our couple are immediately besotted, spending their evenings together and falling in love, although because Chapel considers himself a monster he refuses to ‘change’ Pru and a moral battle ensues as Pru grows sicker and after 600 years Chapel finally learns to live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Mine Tonight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bookwatcher If you like historical romances and vampires then you’ll probably enjoy this one which is very popular and has since become a series (The Brotherhood Of Blood) Cheers

yey!!! I'm not a huge fan of historical romance, but after After Midnight (Cabot, #1) by Teresa Medeiros I decide to try others! Love the review and now will search this book!

message 2: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user I liked that Medeiros book too, Bookwatcher! :D

message 3: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 30, 2010 11:19AM) (new) - added it

Bookwatcher new_user wrote: "I liked that Medeiros book too, Bookwatcher! :D"

sooo unexpected! A good historical romance with vampire!!! And without annoying fainting stupids girls! I like this book, and the one after that (Cabot serie has only 2 books)! Very much!

message 4: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user You need to read Smoke Thief!

Bookwatcher new_user wrote: "You need to read Smoke Thief!"

The Smoke Thief (Drakon, #1) by Shana Abé?????
YEAH! I KNOW!

I already buy it!
I'll read it! Read only few pages and love it!

message 6: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user LOL! Good! The sex scenes are brief, but they're good. The heroes are hot. *fans self*

Bookwatcher new_user wrote: "LOL! Good! The sex scenes are brief, but they're good. The heroes are hot. *fans self*"

YEY!!!! It's not how long the sex scene are, but how good they are! YEY (again) I'll read this book ASAP!

Shawna Nice review, Buggy! I'm in the "love it" camp on this one and for the whole series, especially my favorite Taken by the Night with the vampire Saint...*sigh*.

This was one of the first series I read after devouring the Twilight books and searching frantically for adult vampire romances with nookie, so it's a sentimental fave.

message 9: by Buggy (last edited May 17, 2012 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Its so interesting how a lot of us started out after reading the Twilight books, looking for more especially more with adult content. I read the Midnight breed series right after and then I discovered the BDB and nothing was ever the same again.

This is a popular series but not for me. I totally get your sentiment though. Wouldn't it be great to be able to capture that original magic again!

message 10: by Nenia (new) - rated it 1 star

Nenia Campbell This is one of those books that you either love or hate and while I didn’t love this it did manage to redeem itself enough so that in the end I didn’t hate it either.

so true! personally, i thought pru was extremely annoying; more so because her illness was so obviously used as a plot device.

plus, it's so similar to the bdb by j.r. ward...

message 11: by Buggy (last edited May 19, 2012 11:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Thank You! Wasn't she an annoying heroine. And I had never thought about the fact that her illness is similar to Mary's issues in Lover Eternal but that, now that was a great read :)