Sara Jean's Reviews > Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Feb 02, 10

Read on January 28, 2010

Nicholas Sparks is undoubtedly one of the greatest authors of his time. His "The Notebook" and "A Walk to Remember" are my favorites. This time I became interested with "Dear John" because of its upcoming movie this love month. After reading it, I literally almost had a heart attack. I felt my heart aching! The story was very beautiful in the beginning and it was hard for me to stop reading. Then when I was at the middle, I was so shocked and I was like "OH MY GOD!" with how the story turned out. It has many twists and turns, making me feel happy and then sad and then surprised and disappointed.

John and Savannah's love story taught me that:
LOVE is not enough for a relationship to last.
Sometimes we think that love is the most important thing in a relationship but in reality it's not. Time, effort and trust are crucial to make it last. Also, distance can make a sudden change in your emotions especially during those times that you need someone to lean on and you can't immediately reach for him or her. In the story, the distance between Savannah and John crumbled their relationship. They weren't able to hold on to each other and in the end they fell apart. Although the love is still there, they won't be able to change their fate. They can never be together and all they can do is to love each other in secrecy.

Another thing is I realized that John is right with what TRUE LOVE really is. It's about thinking of the other person's happiness no matter what it may cause you. True love is having to thinks of the other person's happiness even if it might cause you pain.

I was a little disappointed because the protagonists didn't end up together. And I actually despised Savannah. She should have waited for John to come back and marry her. She doesn't know the word patience. She is the most bigoted, impatient and selfish lady character that I have ever known. (LOL. Just sharing my opinions!) After what she did, I mean, marrying another guy, I don't understand why she still have the guts to talk to John and ask if she can still send him letters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear John.

Quotes Sara Liked

Nicholas Sparks
“I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love with her in the years we were apart.”
Nicholas Sparks, Dear John

Nicholas Sparks
“I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.”
Nicholas Sparks, Dear John