Mollie *scoutrmom*'s Reviews > Branded by Fire

Branded by Fire by Nalini Singh

Aug 29, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2010, romance, paranormal, read-in-2011, read-in-2013
Recommended for: fans of paranormal romance
Read on March 13, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 4

This was another very good book in a very good series. I think what I like about this series is the author's refutation of the idea that one can or should put up emotional walls against feelings of pain, anger, sorrow, or fear. In this way, the stories are an affirmation that life is to be lived at its fullest.

The characters in the series run the gamut, but the heroes and heroines have a core of inner strength that I admire. In Branded by Fire, Nalini Singh chose for her heroine a woman warrior who fears she will not be able to live with the alpha male her hormones crave. The male has to learn to balance his natural dominance with his sensitivity to her concerns. Working through these issues against a background of suspense elements makes a very good plot.

One excellent thing about these stories is that the author is wise enough to not isolate the characters from outside influences. The overprotective father and brothers, the pesky younger sister, the concerned friends, conflicting loyalties, and career situations have impact on exposition and how the plot plays out in this book. There is teasing along with serious discussions.

If I did not have a preference for other romance subgenres, this series would be my favorite of all. The only thing that kept me from giving the book five stars is that I don't particularly feel that the fact that the characters are shapeshifters was relevant to the story. I think this would have been a better story as a contemporary interracial romance, but I do understand that the author is able to sell more as a writer of paranormal romances. Keep it up, Ms. S!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Branded by Fire.

02/13/2010 page 10
2.9% "So far, so good"
08/27/2010 page 76
22.0% "She's so defensive."
show 1 hidden update…