DS Hendler's Reviews > The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber

M 50x66
Jan 28, 10

Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A good book with a simple, but powerful message for businesses / entrepreneurs: take your personality out of your work and create business systems (or, in Gerber's thought process, franchises). Work _on_ your business (system) as much or more as you work _in_ your business. And the point of creating a good system or franchise, is for someone else to eventually buy it out from you (getting you enough money to retire or move on to the next project/business system/franchise).

The format of the book makes it easily accessible. He tells stories, chiefly about a woman named Sarah and her pie shop, and a mysterious hotel in Northern California. Both of these constructions are complete fictions, which make me question some of his conclusions. (Especially since he uses the hotel as a chief example.) I will, however, allow that he creates these fictions based on his copious previous experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The E-Myth Revisited.