Charlaralotte's Reviews > A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome

A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela

Jan 28, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in December, 2009

Reads like the script for a television documentary. Very simple sentence structure. Perhaps some translation problems, though that wouldn't account for the lack of literary-ness.

More a cultural artifact for people a couple hundred years from now to understand what our minds were interested in: sex, public health, public housing, slaves, personal hygiene, alcohol, food, bathing.

Bit simplistic without any major philosophical discussions comparing and contrasting the Roman Empire with our times.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome.

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy This is not a book about Roman philosophy. It is exactly what it says it is: a book about what it was like to get through a day in early-2nd-century Rome. I'm not sure why this reviewer feels food, sex, slaves, bathing customs, etc., are unworthy of our attention--aren't archeologists and other serious scholars interested in these topics, too? If serious Stoic thinker and statesman Seneca could write a whole letter in the 1st century about how slaves are treated, maybe it's o.k. that Angela writes about them as well! This is a fascinating book for people interested in the nuts and bolts of daily life, written for the general public.