rinabeana's Reviews > Yeager: An Autobiography

Yeager by Chuck Yeager

Jan 01, 08

bookshelves: space
Read in November, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Chuck Yeager is pretty much the ultimate badass. He's the quintessential fighter jock and doesn't take any pains to hide that fact or apologize for anything he's done. Over his storied career he's shot down planes during WWII, escaped across France after ejecting from his plane (and saved a seriously injured fellow soldier along the way), flown some of the most dangerous and experimental of aircraft, earned the trust and devotion of many soldiers under his command, and basically cavorted all over the globe. As I write that I realize it doesn't even sound all that great. The power of Yeager's story is the way in which he tells it. He's a good old boy and you feel like you're sitting on the porch with him while he spins fantastic yarns. The narrative is sprinkled with "son of a bitches" and "awww, hells". All the dangers he faced are described as par for the course (though he does admit to occasional pangs of fear (not often, though). Through his story you come to realize that he definitely had a type A personality and many of his family and friends suffered from his career choice and pursuit of speed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yeager.