poison pure.'s Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Quotes pure. Liked

Kurt Vonnegut
“How nice -- to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive.”

“And so it goes...”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“All this happened, more or less.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“The letter said that they were two feet high, and green., and shaped like plumber's friends. Their suction cups were on the ground, and their shafts, which were extremely flexible, usually pointed to the sky. At the top of each shaft was a little hand with a green eye in its palm. The creatures were friendly, and they could see in four dimensions. They pitied Earthlings for being able to see only three. They had many wonderful things to teach Earthlings, especially about time. Billy promised to tell what some of those wonderful things were in his next letter.
Billy was working on his second letter when the first letter was published. The second letter started out like this:
The most important thing I learned on Tralfamadore was that when a person dies he only appears to die. He is still very much alive in the past, so it is very silly for people to cry at his funeral. All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist. The Tralfamadorians can look at all the different moments just that way we can look at a stretch of the Rocky Mountains, for instance. They can see how permanent all the moments are, and they can look at any moment that interests them. It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever.
When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in a bad condition in that particular moment, but that the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is "so it goes.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“There is no beginning, no middle, no end, no suspense, no moral, no causes, no effects. What we love in our books are the depths of many marvelous moments seen all at one time.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“He had supposed for years that he had no secrets from himself. Here was proof that he had a great big secret somewhere inside, and he could not imagine what it was.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“America is the wealthiest nation on Earth, but its people are mainly poor, and poor Americans are urged to hate themselves.... It is in fact a crime for an American to be poor, even though America is a nation of poor. Every other nation has folk traditions of men who were poor but extremely wise and virtuous, and therefore more estimable than anyone with power and gold. No such tales are told by American poor. They mock themselves and glorify their betters.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Farewell, hello, farewell, hello.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Before you kill somebody, make absolutely sure he isn't well connected. So it goes.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Before you kill somebody, make absolutely sure he isn't well connected.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters.”
tags: war

Kurt Vonnegut
“I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“It is time for me to be dead for a little while - and then live again.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“What we love in our books are the depths of many marvelous moments seen all at one time”