UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...'s Reviews > To Wed a Wicked Earl

To Wed a Wicked Earl by Olivia Parker

Jun 10, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, 2010-reads, author-olivia-parker, own-have-read, 5-stars, historical-romance-series, keepers, reviewed-by-me, favorites, series-devine-and-friends, starts-with-u-thru-w
Recommended for: Historical Romance lovers, especially those who enjoy Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas and Julie Garwood.
Read from June 07 to 08, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

To Wed A Wicked Earl picks up where book one, At the Bride
Hunt Ball
ends, immediately after Tristan Devine, younger brother of Gabriel, Duke of Wolverest, has announced who he has chosen for his bride. Charlotte Greene, heartbroken at having not been the lucky young lady chosen to wed the man she has worshipped from afar for the last seven years is about to leave the ball when Adam Faramond, Earl of Rothbury comes to her emotional rescue; offering support, kind words and to dance the last dance with her, she knows that he’s trying to make her feel better and to salvage what’s left of her dignity. However she also knows that Adam has a reputation for being a womanizer and wants nothing to do with him which isn’t too difficult because Charlotte’s mother has forbidden her to be anywhere near Adam, not wanting her daughter’s reputation sullied – guilt by association and all that such nonsense. However, some months after that night at The Bride Hunt Ball, they have a rather funny chance encounter where they form an unusual friendship which ends up being the basis for this truly wonderful story.

Once again, Olivia Parker has given us a book full of humor, tender moments and passion. Whereas I hadn’t given much thought to Charlotte Green in the first book, in To Wed a Wicked Earl she’s become a truly loveable, believable character with a depth of kindness about her which wasn’t apparent before. The same is true of both Tristan, who I thought was a cad, and Rothbury who was …a horrid cad! But both turned out to be such incredible people who I couldn’t help but care about.

The bottom line - This was another book that was a joy to read, one I couldn't put down and was sorry when it ended. If you're looking for something lighthearted yet, not brainless, I strongly recommend both At the Bride Hunt Ball and To Wed a Wicked Earl. Olivia Parker has become an "auto buy author" for me.

Lady Rosalind Devine, Gabriel and Tristan’s sister, will have her story told in the next book, Guarding a Notorious Lady, due out in August, I believe, and then I’m hoping – fingers crossed even – that Tristan’s book will be next because, I have no doubt, that he is not at all the man he appears to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Wed a Wicked Earl.

06/07/2010 page 63
16.98% "I do not inspire lust. All I provoke are whispered promises from a man who, with his next breath asks another woman to marry him. - Charlotte to Lord Rothbury when he tries to explain to her why men and women - specifically he and she - cannot be friends."
06/08/2010 page 108
29.11% "So far, another fun read."
06/08/2010 page 270
72.78% "This is really, really cute. I don't know why people didn't like it as well as the first book, but I'm loving it."
06/08/2010 page 384
100% "What a great read! Review to follow...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rach~The Highlander luverrr Mild...Medium... or Hot??

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jun 07, 2010 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Think... Julia Quinn. And I've only just started this one, but based on the first book, At The Bride Hunt Ball, I'm saying .... mild/Quinnish.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha sounds good.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Glad you liked it, Dhestiny. This was a refreshing read for me.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yes, refreshing is a good word for it. I enjoyed their friendship, the carefree banter... it's a really enjoyable read.

message 6: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina I really enjoyed At the Bride Hunt Ball, but lukewarm reviews/ratings have steered me away from its sequel. I think I need to reconsider that. Great review, UM.

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jun 10, 2010 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thanks, Dina. I almost didn't read this one because of the so-so reviews, but in all honesty, there were things I like better about this one and can't figure out what it is that people don't like about it.

Maybe because, while this one is funny as well, it doesn't have individual "ROFL" stand out scenes as much as AtBHB did, but it's still very good and the way Tristan and Rothbury were both redeemed... great read.

Cheryl Great review... I must get my hands on this one!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thank you, Cheryl! You'll love it, I'm certain!

Cheryl I bought a copy of this today!!!!!! Can't wait to read it!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I can't wait for you to read it so we can talk about it!!!

message 12: by ♥adinda (new)

♥adinda ♥ i will search 4 this book. i think is gud :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I hope you can find a copy, Dinda! I think you'll enjoy it.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I can't wait for you to read it so we can talk about it!!!"

I'll be sure to let you know when I read it so we can chat about it! :)

Ally72 Yah!!! Cheryl...I am glad you were able to find a copy.

Cheryl Me too! I went in search of several books and they were all at the little used book store I go to! Very successful trip!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... That's the best, isn't it? I found a few Jaquie D'Alessandro books on my last trip.

Cheryl I've never read anything by that author... anything good?

message 19: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jun 17, 2010 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Several people have highly recommended her books.

I got Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, Book #1) by Jacquie D'Alessandro, Red Roses Mean Love by Jacquie D'Alessandro and The Bride Thief by Jacquie D'Alessandro.

Cheryl Huh, I'll keep my eye out for your reviews on them and if it sounds like my cuppa tea I'll give 'em a go!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... No problem. I BELIEVE Maureen is one who really pimps this author. LOL

Cheryl Ok, I read the synopsis on them and they do sound good... and if Maureen recommends this author it is bound to be good! I'm still going to wait until you read at least one of them before I add them to my list.. it has grown overwhelmingly large and I'm trying to make a dent in the books I already own! :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I know what you mean about the TBR list getting out of control. That's why I hadn't purchased these books new. I figured if I was going to read an untried author, I'd rather buy the book used first. LOL I'll grab one of them and start it soon.

When do you leave on vacation?

Cheryl SUNDAY!!!!!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Nice! This is the week trip with your family to the beach? Take some good books with you!

Cheryl Yes it is that trip, I've already got some books set out to take with me and my sisters have already called me and requested me to bring some for them too! I'm the book dealer in the family...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Well, of course you are! You've got excellent taste in literature!

Cheryl I like the way you call it "literature"... it sounds so much better than the smut that it actually is! ;)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Cheryl wrote: "I like the way you call it "literature"... it sounds so much better than the smut that it actually is! ;)"

But of course, mon ami - we must do what we can to appear most respectable, oui?

Cheryl Well... how do I compete with French?
But yes, I agree, we must keep up appearances, I'd hate for the truth to get out! Yikes!!

Ally72 Have fun on your vacation Cheryl!!!

Cheryl Thanks Ally! We are leaving on Sunday and will be gone for a week... I am so excited about it and look forward to it each year! It is one of those vacations where you truly just relax and enjoy the beach and pool... nothing else!

Ally72 I think those kinds of vacations are the most fun! It is always great to come back and feel relaxed.

message 34: by ♥adinda (new)

♥adinda ♥ UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I hope you can find a copy, Dinda! I think you'll enjoy it."

i have found d copy. i think its pretty cute...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Excellent, Dinda! Let us know what you think when you're finished.

message 36: by ♥adinda (new)

♥adinda ♥ i have finished it. 2 days ago n it was very cute. i want him 4 my own lolz

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... LOL!!!! I think you'll have to share with the rest of us who fell hard for Adam.

message 38: by ♥adinda (new)

♥adinda ♥ eum..what can i say ??

all i can say is i love him haha. i think most of ppl here loves him too.

i love historical romance n when i saw d book cover n read d plot, i was like..."i have to find this book".

its really romantic. he's wicked lolz

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... You need to read the Lisa Kleypas Hathaway series, Dinda. Those are some hot, wicked men, too.

message 40: by ♥adinda (new)

♥adinda ♥ i will :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome review. I'm tempted to read this book now.

I already have a copy of this but I couldn't find myself a copy of At the Bride Hunt Ball. Is it a must to read them in order?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thank you Grain,

Wow, I'm really, really anal about reading books in order. But, you can read book 2 first, in my opinion, without being lost. Both are excellent books.