Ziaria's Reviews > Eternal on the Water

Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger

Jan 28, 10

Read in January, 2010

This book grabbed my attention from page one and it never let go, not once.

I instantly loved Mary and Cobb, The Chungamunga Girls, Wally, Francis, Turtle Freddy, their parents. I even enjoyed all the smaller characters that were a part of Mary and Cobb's journey through their life together. I thought Joseph did a wonderful job telling Mary's story of living with Huntington's disease. I think the disease and it's effects were told with compassion by Joseph.

On top of the amazing love story, there was such beauty in nature. The Allagash River where the Chungamunga girls camp every year. By the end of the book, I longed to see this river. Indonesia where Turtle Freddy dedicates his life to preserving turtles. When they released some of the turtles into the wild, the image was so vivid, I swear I saw it happen. To Yellowstone to study the crows, brought back memories I had long forgotten of my travels there as a small child. The wolves at Yellowstone, how I would love to hear their night callings.

Not only did we get fantastic nature surroundings, we got wonderful animal stories intertwined throughout the book. I had such fun reading all the stories and myths Joseph included in the book. The added that little something extra that made the book just a tad more special.

This book made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me long to see the world, and it made me cry.

Mary and Cobb's story was a joyous and sorrow filled love story that is timeless and will stay with me for a long time. I don't normally give a rating to books in my reviews, it's not my thing, but for this one I am making an exception. 5 stars hands down. (B&N First Look Book club)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal on the Water.