Hope's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I’m never very good at predicting outcomes. Nothing I could’ve predicted would have been quite as good as this. Although I did get close (a very distant "close") on a few things, and I was right in saying that it wouldn’t be walking through a field of flowers and sunshine.

A book like this just couldn’t be.

It's good, and yet not good. Because it’s good in a very heartbreaking, chilling, haunting, intense way.

Katniss is a different person from the first two books. I found her softer, more thoughtful, and also more open (granted, she's still kind of a brat sometimes. But don't we all have our moments?). In the first two books, even though the story is told by her, she’s very closed off with us. This book is filled with more emotion, and I liked her best in this book, even though it's a tragedy of sorts.

As I’m stewing over the novel I read every word of yesterday, I think, “Did I really love it?” And then, “How could I love it?” I shake my head. I can’t love something so terribly sad and at times grotesque. Something so painful.

Truthfully, I don’t think I loved it. Love isn’t the right word. It was a fantastic novel. I don't think I can come up with any better way for a trilogy of this kind to come to a close. The perfect note of sadness and sweetness, pain and healing all mixed up in a jumble. This book was far more severe than the first two. Much harder to read, and with more emotional depth, I think. Sometimes I just had to close the book for a while and breathe because I needed to stop for a bit, to regroup myself so I could get through a certain part.

Collins wove in a few questions to ponder. Where do you draw the line? Do you give just what you got? Should you show mercy to those who haven’t shown mercy to you? Is it right to kill innocent people just because the leaders on their side of the line killed innocent people on your side?

Contrary to what some believe, this is not an anti-war book. Actually, I think Collins is trying to get us to ask ourselves questions about what justifies war, and where the line should be drawn between justice and vengeance. Not that we shouldn't fight, but that we know what's worth fighting for.

Several notable characters die. It’s painful, and it hurts to read it. Some believe that these characters didn’t get enough homage. But since this is told from first-person, maybe it’s just too painful for Katniss to dwell on those deaths.

The last three pages make all the heavy, intense, painfulness of the rest of the book almost worth it, in a strange way. Bittersweet is the perfect word. The sense of loss underlying the message that life really does goes on, even when we don’t see how it possibly can.
Sometimes we need a little help to pick ourselves off the floor and start again.

I wasn’t disappointed with the ending, but I am disappointed that it’s the end. It left me feeling emotionally drained and like I'd lost something. I'm not sure if I'm shell-shocked or simply worn out by the intensity of it all. I'm glad, in a way, that it ended like it did. I'm also sad, and a little confused. Not because I didn't like the ending, but because I simply feel emptied out for the time being.

I just wish...I wish that there could have been more happiness for these characters that I love so much. I think that unfulfilled wish is, at the end of the day, why I'm feeling this way right now. In time the feeling will pass, I know, but at the moment I'm sorry for it. No matter how I enjoyed this book (and I did, I really did), I'm in a sort of grieving state. Happiness was there in the end, but it just wasn't enough to compensate for all the sadness.
Then again, I think that was the point.

It’s a very rare thing to find a trilogy like this one, and I’ll always hold a place in my heart for the girl who was on fire.

-----

{pre-release}
Waiting for this is torturous. I finished Catching Fire and wanted this in my hands immediately.
Oh Suzanne, please let Peeta live (without becoming seriously maimed {again}, either)! :'(

I know it's stupid, but I want a happy ending. Not like uber-happy, of course, I'm not unrealistic...but I just want to finish this trilogy humming and skipping around the house (yeah, laugh. I don't care! ;)) rather than lying around depressed afterwards wondering what went wrong...'cause I just hate when that happens.

P.S. I'm not making any predictions because it feels like either my wishful thinking or my most dreaded outcome. I can't find a balance in between. Call me weird.
All I can say without bias is that the ending will not be all walkin' in a field of flowers and happiness. :P

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Hope Liked

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”

08/24/2010 page 106
08/24/2010 page 400
100.0% "*sigh* I'll review this...eventually. But right now, I just feel like being very quiet and thinking it over. Wow."

Kristen OMGEEE!!! i do that too when i dont like the ending to a book ! I HOPE PEETA & KATNISS get together (: <3

Hope Haha, I hope they do too! :)

Lydia Hartman IF THEY DONT I WILL BE DEPRESSED!!!!! lol your thing about sad endings is exactly what i did when i finished Catching Fire!!

Hope Yes, they need to be together! xD Yeah...I almost cried after Catching Fire.

Lydia Hartman me too... i think i actually did cry....

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I want Mockingjay so bad. Besides seeing who/if someone dies, I want to know more about District 13.

Lydia Hartman same here!! i think there's still a society there....

message 8: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Maultsby Honestly, I think that Gale and Katniss should end up together. He was her first love. Not Peeta. Peeta may be charming and all, but you got to remember, Katniss has known Gale longer than Peeta. Gale has taught her the ways of the forest(and her dad). But the real thing is that she actually felt something when Gale kissed her. She said that she only felt something when Peeta kissed her twice. I understand that it would hurt Peeta's feelings, but you have to remember the fact that their love was partly forced (on her part) and that Peeta might just love her because he's lonely. :( I just hope that Gale and Katniss end up together, and Peeta is just another important character. <3 :)

message 9: by Hope (last edited Jun 01, 2010 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Johnathan wrote: "Honestly, I think that Gale and Katniss should end up together. He was her first love. Not Peeta. Peeta may be charming and all, but you got to remember, Katniss has known Gale longer than Peeta. G..."

I actually don't remember her saying that she felt anything at all when Gale kissed her. I didn't read anything about that "warm-inside" feeling that she had with Peeta. :)

If I was in her place, between old friend and the new guy, I'd probably be just as confused as she is. So, we'll see how it goes. I really think she'd be happier with Peeta. But either way, I can guarantee that it's going to be a fantastic book. :)

Amanda Campbell Peeta and Katniss need to be together!!!! Let him live!!

Sammy Johnathan wrote: "Honestly, I think that Gale and Katniss should end up together. He was her first love. Not Peeta. Peeta may be charming and all, but you got to remember, Katniss has known Gale longer than Peeta. G..."

All my friends think Katniss should end up with Gale! Peeta deserves to be with her! I think Katniss really does love Peeta even though it's pretend for the cameras, she really does. Peeta doesn't love her because he's lonely. I understand what Peeta goes through with love at first site when he was 5, I got basically the same thing when I was 8. He needs to be with Katniss!!

Dhristi Khatri I so agree with u reallyneed da book n I want a happy ending otherwise I really do get depressed!

message 13: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope YES!!!! *jumping up and down*

Taryn Just mere hours until Mockingjay!!! I've been waiting since the day Catching Fire was released for this! I am so excited to read what life has in store for these characters. Yay!!

Jordan I think you guys will like it...

message 16: by Hope (last edited Aug 24, 2010 08:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope It was great. I loved it. But it was an extremely sad book, overall, I have to say. I was expecting that, but I just wasn't quite prepared for some of it.

Krystyn Case Well...not sure you'll be skipping around at the end, but certainly there is a bittersweet quality to the ending.

Aaminah I love your review, it summed up perfectly how this book made me feel. I'm still in too confused a state to put it properly into words for myself.

message 19: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Aaminah wrote: "I love your review, it summed up perfectly how this book made me feel. I'm still in too confused a state to put it properly into words for myself."

Thank you. :) It is hard to explain the feeling. I thought it was amazing, but I just about hate the fact that I could enjoy it so much. I'm still not sure about my rating for it...I'll probably keep it at five, but I just have so many conflicting emotions on this one.
I don't think I've ever been so torn up about a book. :/ The ending was great, but I really do feel like there just wasn't nearly enough happiness to counteract all the sadness. And I know there wasn't supposed to be.
My heart just hurts over it all.

Cereus Great review!

I didn't consider for myself if Mj was an anti-war novel or not, but... considering how messed up Katniss was by the end of the story, can you really say Mj wasn't anti-war?

message 21: by Hope (last edited Mar 25, 2011 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Well, it's certainly never said that war shouldn't have been fought.

(view spoiler)
I think you have to decide for yourself whether you believe it was worth it or not. In my opinion it was worth it, in the end. But it was very painful.

I do think that it's also saying that someone so young as Katniss shouldn't be so closely involved in a war like that. Honestly, I think Katniss was messed up at the beginning of the third book. Hiding in closets and all. She sort of lost herself when Peeta was taken away, in my opinion.

message 22: by Rach (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rach Great review - you've summed up quite well how I felt about this book, too. I couldn't give it anything other than 5 stars, even though I have a hard time saying, "I loved it." This one is going to stick with me for a while.

message 23: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Thanks! It is definitely one of those reads you just have to mull over for a long time. I can't stop thinking about it.

Lindsay I completely and wholeheartedly agree.

message 25: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy This review almost perfectly states my feelings. The ending was happy, and yet, it didn't seem like it quite was. But all in all, still an amazing book...

message 26: by Nonie (last edited Aug 26, 2010 06:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nonie Great review! You basically said everything I wanted to say. :) I still have to mull it over a little more. I actually thought the ending was a bit happier than I thought it would be. I was prepared for this super depressing ending...at least that didn't happen...

message 27: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Thanks! Yeah, when I was about 3/4 of the way into the book I thought, "The ending is going to be TERRIBLE!" Because I just couldn't think of any conceivable way for it to end at all happily. I was really pleased with it, though. Collins did a great job giving us a happy-yet-not-happy ending. It fit just right. :)

message 28: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy This review took the words right out of my mouth, I have been thinking these thoughts all day and was still unable to communicate it to a friend who was let down by the end, but I will be sending her this review! I wonder myself how people could expect a happy ending because I was prepared for way worse and I feel none of the books are very hopeful or happy and you are right there is no way this could have ended better.

message 29: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Aw, thanks! I hope it helps your friend. The more time I have to think over the book and get myself back to normal, I feel better about it. It just has to "settle" I guess.

Summer I loved your review of the book! Summs up my feelings perfectly!

message 31: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I love this review. It really did sum up the book. I didn't know quite how to put into words what I felt throughout the book, and I guess you got that spot on.
While I was reading it, I'm sure multiple people questioned my sanity, because I just got SO worked up over what was going on. I would have to put the book down and walk away multiple times. But I kept going back to it, because I HAD to know what happened.
I always say that I want a novel without a happy ending, but now that it's been delivered...I take my wish back.
So thanks for the review, and for putting into words what I'm sure many people could not. :)

Giraffasaurus "Happiness was there in the end, but it just wasn't enough to compensate for all the sadness. Then again, I think that was the point."

(and from your comment to someone else:)

"The ending was great, but I really do feel like there just wasn't nearly enough happiness to counteract all the sadness. And I know there wasn't supposed to be. My heart just hurts over it all."

I definitely, definitely feel this way. I just finished it last night, and woke up with a headache, so it'll take awhile for me to process and digest it all. But I had to finally read what others were saying, and you so perfectly summed up how I felt in the end.

message 33: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope @Sara: I think it was a happy ending, but a sad book. So it's hard to call the ending happy, even though it was the happiest it could be.

Jennefer What an excellent review Hope! There is nothing more to say without saying too much for those who haven't read it. I wasn't quite sure how to review this book but I think you said it all!

message 35: by SimBim (new) - added it

SimBim Oh My God. You're review nearly put me to tears. I can't get this books out of my head, yet I really don't want to read it, 'cause apparently it's sooooo sad.
I'm gonna get it tomorrow. Argh!

message 36: by Hope (last edited Aug 27, 2010 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope @Jennefer: Aw, thanks so much. :)

Simirox wrote: "Oh My God. You're review nearly put me to tears. I can't get this books out of my head, yet I really don't want to read it, 'cause apparently it's sooooo sad.
I'm gonna get it tomorrow. Argh!"

Aw. Yes, it is sad. But it's SO good. It's worth it, really, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first 2.

message 37: by SimBim (new) - added it

SimBim Thanks. I LOVE the Hunger Games, and I have read some pretty gory stuff. I guess if Peeta gets through it...
and It IS excellent, if it's by Suzanne Collins, though...
The review is AWESOME though. You have a knack for emotionally charging up my brain! If that makes sense...;)

Angela Morrison Great review. Bittersweet. Exactly. You nailed it.

Skeetoid You said perfectly what I am feeling. Thank you so much for your review.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa C. You've articulated why I struggled with my rating and on writing a review though it made me feel guilty not to rank higher than 3 because I know it deserves more. I'm reacting emotionally. I admit to being a sap and wanted a bit more. Thanks

message 41: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope @Lisa: I know what you mean. I understand why a lot of people are giving it a lower rating. I think my rating would have been a 4, just because there were so many things I wanted to be there that weren't...but the ending brought it up to a five for me. I felt like it deserved it, because the series was wonderful, and this was the right ending for this kind of series. :)

Angela Morrison I agree with Hope. The last part of the book was the best.

Maddie Cromar I feel the same way--almost like I'm grieving. Isn't it amazing how tied up we can get in a fictional story? But it's wonderful, too.

Courtenay Hope you have beautifully conveyed the same feelings which I had at the end of the book and the shocking part I think is the reality of the ending. I was hoping Peeta would go back to normal and everything would be okay but I hit a certain point in the story where I knew it just wasn't possible. The characters are too based in reality to have a rainbows and sunshine ending. I think the epilogue greatly reflects this as well. All I could think of though after I finished it was, "What a tragic life they all lead" They'd already been forced into leaving their childhoods behind even before going into the Hunger Games and it just got progressively worse because they were used for their noteriety and were ultimately as expendable to the rebels as they were to the capitol. I think this would be brilliant book for any high school english or SOSE curriculum. FIVE STARS because it was honest storytelling and we don't always get that in books because let's be honest we don't always want it.

Jennifer Marie You summed up how I felt when I finished so perfectly. Bittersweet is definitely the word to use for this book.

Jennifer i think you summed it up perfectly as well.

Mahesh Subramaniam Aww your review made me emotional the last words. Thats how i feel as well

message 48: by Shannon (last edited Aug 31, 2010 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon Hope,
I don't know you, but that was a PERFECT way to convey how I feel about this book. I agree with everything you wrote. Everything I felt and am still feeling. I sat up awake several times awake last night thinking about all of it. I love how you say that this is not an antiwar book, but we need to consider when war is a must. That is a hard point to come to. I am not an eloquent writer, so it is hard to put my feelings into words. I thank you for saying and writing what I could not. I am also so tired emotionally from the depths of this book ;) And she is with who I thought she should be with! I am so happy for at least that.

message 49: by Hope (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Thanks everybody for your comments! It's so nice to know that there are many others who felt the same way. :)

@Shannon: Thanks. :) I guess the thing about this book is that in the end, we realize that the war and the loss actually was worth it. For the future generations.
I can't put it any better than the great Ronald Reagan did...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

P.S. I'm happy for that last bit, too. She is definitely with who she ought to have been with. :) ♥

Jennifer Marie It's interesting, I honestly didn't know WHO she'd end up with. I had equal likes and dislikes for both boys...and I was in a way shocked at the end (thinking she'd go the other way), but then the more I thought about it the more I realized that it was the right choice in the end. And it's interesting the clues leading up to it that I didn't much catch on to when reading it the first time.

« previous 1 3