Becky's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

Feb 02, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from January 28 to February 01, 2010

I usually trudge slowly through nonfiction books, but I could not put this one down. It tells the stories, intertwined with many statistics, of many women in third world nations who have endured sex slavery, genital mutilation, beatings, rape, and/or lack of education and health care. It's impossible to not be moved by the stories of these women. Bottom line: educating and empowering women in third world countries will solve many of the problems in those areas. And grassroots programs are more effective than large aid programs. The final chapter proposes convincing solutions to these problems and a list of things you can do to help.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Hayes You are one of many people who, in their reviews, describe this book as follows:
• inspiring or inspirational
• 4 or 5 STARS

I, too, found this book inspiring. For me, inspiration is not only a rich internal experience that we desire and enjoy for its own sake. Much more than that, inspiration is also a spur to our acting in the world in a way that helps bring about a good result.

In the final chapter of the book, the authors recommend these actions:

Four Steps You Can Take in Ten Minutes: (251-2)

1. Go to www.globalgiving.org or www.kiva.org and open an account
2. Sponsor a girl or a woman through Plan International, Women for Women International, World Vision, or American Jewish World Service.
3. Sign up for e-mail updates on www.womensenews.org and www.worldpulse.com
4. Join the CARE Action Network at www.can.care.org

I visited the Global Giving website mentioned by the authors and made a contribution to a project for educating girls in Malawi. I hope that you, too, will take one or more of the steps suggested above.