Tiffany Danner's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Shiloh Walker

Feb 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, for-review
Read from January 27 to February 01, 2010

I really gave this book 4.5 stars on the blog, rounding up here!

I have heard about the greatness of Shiloh Walker all over twitterverse for a while now…. but my time has been limited and being that urban fantasy is really my favorite genre, I had put her books low on my list. When the opportunity to join the ARC tour sponsored by the Book Vixen, I jumped at the chance! Thus my Shiloh Walker virginity is gone and I was oh so wrong to wait so long!
Sara is on the run, tho we don’t find out why til the very end. I found myself assuming she was on the run because her husband was abusive, the snippet flashbacks point to that. Yet, everything we see of her personality led me to think there was something else going on. She is a fighter, she didn’t seem like the running type. These contradictions had me invested in her character from the start. I love a good strong female lead who can be strong yet maintain her compassion and femininity and Shiloh Walker gives us that in Sara.

Quinn. I could say so much about this man, but the easiest thing to say? Wow. Somehow Walker crawled inside my head and created a man I couldn’t help but drool over. He is broken, tormented, wounded. He is protective and strong, but still respectful of Sara as a person. He is so emotional within his own head, but expressing it was next to impossible. Somehow Walker makes this fault both endearing and lovable.

I loved the plot of Broken, great twists that I didn’t see coming! I did wish for a bit more action throughout the story, but I am not sure it would have fit in and that doesn’t keep me from loving this book. The development of the relationship between Quinn and Sara was certainly strong enough to carry the story. It was passionate and desperate in all the ways we book sluts love. One of my favorite dialogue scenes from the start of their relationship:

Sara cocked a brow at him. “Didn’t you tell me a few days ago I’d be better off keeping my distance from you?”
“Yeah, I told you that.”
“Hard to do if you come looking for me.”
Quinn shrugged. “I don’t see you walking away.”
“I was here first,” she said pointedly.

But what really gets me about this book is the smokin hot sex appeal of Quinn and his mouth. He talks at all the right times, and I love it. For a man who claims to not know how to flirt, he sure picks it up quickly.

Raking his teeth over the soft skin of her wrist, he said gruffly, “You really shouldn’t look at me like that in a public place, Sara.”
“Look at you how?” she asked, her voice almost as hoarse as his own. She blinked at him, looking a little dazed.

This book is not in a series, per say, but it is related to the previous book Fragile which features Quinn’s brother Luke. I will be picking Fragile up without question. Broken is an excellent read for any romance reader and Shiloh Walker is definitely going on my “must buy” list of authors!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

01/28/2010 page 32
9.79% "I love tormented men..."
01/29/2010 page 77
23.55% ""Quinn was redefining sexy brooder" - yes, yes he is!"
01/30/2010 page 158
48.32% "Quinn is seriously smokin...."
01/30/2010 page 182
55.66% "Holy smokin hotness...."
01/31/2010 page 274
83.79% "wow, did not see that coming!"
01/31/2010 page 336