J. King's Reviews > EyeLeash: A Blog Novel

EyeLeash by Jess C. Scott

Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: ebooks, fiction-memoir
Read from January 27 to February 16, 2010

This novel is written in an alternative format (as a personal online journal), and it’s risqué for a YA novel (because of all the talk about sex). Surprisingly, the format did not distract me, and the story kept my attention. It became clear to me early on that not only did Novan have an emotional attachment to Jade, but Jade also was whipping herself up into an emotional attachment to Novan, even though they both said there was nothing between them.

Jade clearly has issues, which probably stem from her past, from her relationship with her parents—Where were they, anyhow? Throughout this entire story, they never did anything worthy of being ranted about in her journal?—or her relationships with her peers. While I was satisfied with how the story turned out, these aspects of Jade's psyche were never explored, not even in the epilogue, leaving me wanting.

Even so, this is clearly a decent story, quite readable and worth checking out, especially if you want to read something a little different than the norm. A surprisingly good book, which I fully recommend.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read EyeLeash.

01/27/2010 page 13
4.51% "Very alternative format, and risqué for a YA novel. But is keeping my interest!"
01/28/2010 page 25
8.68% "OK, this girl's gotta resolve this thing, like, NOW! But lust? I don't think so. She's whipping herself up into an attachment."
02/01/2010 page 65
22.57% "I'm wondering why she hasn't had sex if that's truly all she thinks about, or vice versa. What's her motivation? Sex-daydreaming weary."
02/02/2010 page 260
90.28% "I'm now more convinced than ever that Jade is pursuing sex because of some other deficit, such as not being able to love a man."
02/02/2010 page 116
40.28% "This poor girl has it bad. Also has some pretty inaccurate ideas about sex."
02/09/2010 page 168
58.33% "Jade needs to learn an important lesson: you're not important enough for it to be about you."
02/09/2010 page 185
64.24% "Sympathizing with Novan; obviously in love with her— desperately, can't-live-without-her in love with her."
02/09/2010 page 216
75.0% "Too many characters all sound the same. Jade is too isolated from reality."
show 1 hidden update…