Buggy's Reviews > Inside Out

Inside Out by Lauren Dane

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: blah, contemp-rom, shelf-10, tattooed-hero
Read from November 03 to December 22, 2010

Opening Line: "She arched on a gasp as the heat of his mouth met her neck."

Inside Out is the 3rd instalment from Lauren Dane’s deliciously erotic 'Brown Family' series. And while I absolutely adored the first 2 books Laid Bare and Coming Undone I’m sad to say that this one was a huge disappointment for me.

The writing is still engaging (except for Dane’s new obsession with the words “Gah” and “Pfft”) and once we get to the love scenes they’re well done, although I wouldn’t call them erotic especially when compared to (Laid Bare) I also enjoyed returning to a cast of familiar characters unfortunately nothing really interesting ever happens here with them. It’s more like an advanced character study or slice-of-life then erotic romance with very little in the way of a developing storyline, especially when you consider its 306 pages long.

Instead we’re just given endless and often repetitive conversations amongst a group of friends. Centering on Erin’s risky final stages of pregnancy, Ben’s angry, bigoted father and some rather high-schoolish discussions on how much Ella/Andrew are totally crushing on each other; which is then dissected by each member of the group and reasons given to why they shouldn’t or shouldn’t be dating. This was monotonous. I kept waiting for the real story to begin or some kind of conflict between the H/h to develop as they began to fall in love. Regrettably none of these things ever materialized and honestly I was bored.

Another huge problem for me and I’m sure at least part of the reason why I never connected with this book was the similarity of everyone’s names. With an Ella, Erin, Elise and Adrian I was often at a loss as to who was doing the talking. The hero was also referred to as either Andrew, Drew, Andy or Cope which had me double checking that I’d somehow missed the introduction of a new character and to top off the name game there were also 2 different antagonists a Bill and a Billy. Gah!

Ella and Andrew have been tip toeing around a mutual infatuation for years but it’s taken that long for Ella to be emotionally ready to return gorgeous ladies man and perpetual flirt Andrew’s steamy glances. She’s still wary but at last feeling ready to reclaim the vibrant and outgoing person she was before her ex boyfriend destroyed her confidence then attacked and almost killed her. *I’m sorry but this is the same back story given for the last two heroines in this series*

Okay so basically Andrew and Ella start dating and through some romantic poems, a mixed tape and several visits to see Erin in the hospital they fall in love. There isn’t much drama where these two are concerned and as I said no real conflict. I did enjoy seeing another side of Andrew’s (up until now) playboy character and witnessing how shy and out of his element he became with Ella. And the love letters he sends her will have you sighing. Watching Ella find herself again was also interesting but as I said had been done before. Of course all the other characters are back and feeling more like a family then ever Although we don't get another Chapter 16 like in(Coming Undone) or into Todd or Ben’s heads.

I do recommend this to fans of the series, especially after going over some of the other reviews as I seem to be in the minority when it comes to my low rating. I wish I’d liked it more. Cheers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out.

11/17/2010 page 48
15.0% "I was really excited about reading this but I have to honest it isn't grabbing me like the last 2 books did (which I adored) I'm also getting all the names mixed up. I'm hoping things improve"
12/20/2010 page 193
63.0% "You look at me, and I feel like I've had a glass of champagne or something. You make me drunk with, Gah." Drunk with Gah? Phttt, what is she talking about?" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Oh my not a five star.

Buggy Nope I put it on my "blah" shelf. What a disappointment, nothing happens, its just endless conversations about feelings and how much he/she likes you. I kept waiting for something(anything) to happen! There's no conflict, no story. The sex scenes are good but not many and nothing particularly stand out there either.

message 3: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Thats sucks, do we get to see Tood and Ben? Its hard living up to the awesomeness that is Laid Bare.

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Dec 22, 2010 09:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Todd and Ben are continually mentioned (because Erin is getting ready to have the baby) and the hero here is Ben's brother but we never get into their heads and there's no 3xway gratuitous sex scene this time around :( They are just always in the room and being talked about in the endless round of conversations.

I actually picked up Laid Bare and re-read a couple of those scenes. Thats a great read

message 5: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya It was I never enjoyed an erotica with a woman so much, cus we already know m/f dont really blow my mind. Plus why I think I love it so much is the whole best-friend thing. Thats always a hot story line, being a little bit gay for your friend.

I want novellas for Ben and Todd, oh yeh and Erin too :)

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater Buggy wrote: "Nope I put it on my "blah" shelf. What a disappointment, nothing happens, its just endless conversations about feelings and how much he/she likes you. I kept waiting for something(anything) to happ..."

That's the problem I'm having with Laid Bare right now. I feel like all it is is talking, kinky sex, sharing feelings & more talking. I thought I'd enjoy a romance without a bs suspense plotline but I'm becoming very bored without external conflict.

Buggy And thats the book WITH the most plotline in the series too.

AlbertaJenn I really enjoyed all three, but then I'm a sucker for sappy romance! LOL

Buggy Yeah I really wanted to like this one. I had been so looking forward to it and loved the first 2

message 10: by Buggy (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy It was really distracting as was referring to the hero by 4 different names.(kinda like our hero Lora Leigh does) I agree, you'd think somebody would have picked up on it. It actually happens way too often maybe its just a pet peeve for me

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane Gah, you just thought it was Phtt, huh?

message 12: by Alycia (last edited Jan 06, 2011 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alycia I agree with you Buggy. I gave it a liberal 4 stars but sometimes a 3 was more fitting. Maybe I should have noted 3.5
I was a little disappointed after loving Coming Undone. I hope the next book is better. I recommend Second Chances if you haven't read it yet.

message 13: by Buggy (last edited Jan 07, 2011 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Jennifer- LOL it was unfortunately Phtt

Alycia, Thanks for the recommendation. I'm still excited about the next book too I just really hope something happens this time.

Zosia- you started Black Jack- Awesome Can't wait for your review. I have it on my TBR shelf so I'll eventually read it too but then I think I'm done with her Elite-ops "soul" game.

Alycia You are welcome. I hope the next Brown Siblings books is better too. Especially since I think it is the last one.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) Finished this today. Can't agree strongly enough with your comment "(except for Dane’s new obsession with the words “Gah” and “Pfft”)".

Buggy Thanks Photojim, this book was a struggle for me and those two words in such repetition drove me crazy!

Ashley Your review is how I feel exactly. So blah, gah, pfft.

message 18: by Buggy (last edited Jan 10, 2013 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy LOL Ashley, thanks! I thought there was something wrong with me initially because I was in the minority with my review and annoyances

Vallsykes Buggy wrote: "Instead we’re just given endless and often repetitive conversations amongst a group of friends....Another huge problem for me and I’m sure at least part of the reason why I never connected with this book was the similarity of everyone’s names"

You've hit it on the nail: the repetition and the names! Hah. I'm trying to finish this one now. I keep rolling my eyes. This one is "blah". I skipped Laid Bare and appreciated Coming Undone. The thing is I actually like Lauren Dane's style, but the books I've read just haven't wowed me.
Very on point review, Buggy.

Buggy Ha, Thanks Vallsykes and good luck getting through this. I was a huge fan of LD before this book in particular Laid Bare but this was so boring. I'm glad someone else noticed the issue with the names