Rebecca's Reviews > The Longest Trip Home: A Memoir

The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan

Feb 10, 10

Recommended for: lapsed Catholics like myself; grown children and their parents
Read from January 29 to February 07, 2010 — I own a copy

John Grogan did an author talk on this book last year at the library where I work. His description of what it was about intrigued me: growing up with devoutly Catholic parents and his need to rebel and break away from that. It turns out that my Catholic dad has NOTHING on Grogan's parents, as far as "devout" goes, but the disconnect Grogan felt with his parents over faith was certainly familiar to me. Not really understanding where they were coming from, but simultaneously not understanding why his own experience of faith was so lacking compared to theirs, and wishing he could feel what they felt. I've been there, done that, not just with my dad, but with several of my very Christian high-school friends growing up. So this really resonated. Fair warning -- it also made me cry, a lot, at the end. It's a really good read (I zipped right through it), well-written, thought-provoking, and laugh-out-loud funny in some places, too (John and his friends had a serious penchant for mischief and he writes amusingly self-deprecatingly about his teenage years). But most of all it's heartfelt and underlines the importance of unconditional familial love. It made me want to go hug my dad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longest Trip Home.