Mike's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

M 50x66
Feb 15, 2010

bookshelves: owned, fantasy
Read from February 12 to 15, 2010

** spoiler alert ** For what is supposed to be a debut novel from Patrick Rothfuss, he sure seems to do everything right. This novel has had an emotional impact on me that I haven't found in a good long time. I don't feel so much as if I have just read a book as I do that I was sitting right there, a silent observer, experiencing everything alongside protagonist.

Putting this book down at the end was hard to do, and all I really want to do is pick it up and start reading again so I can be back with the characters that I feel as if I've know forever.

If there is one thing that has hit me the hardest about this book, it would be the relationship between Kvothe and Denna. To have someone disappear on you and be unable to find no matter how hard you look and just turn up by random chance... It touched on my greatest fears and has actually left me visibly shaken.

This is a fantastic book and any praise you may of heard about it is all true and well deserved. I strongly suggest any fan of the Fantasy genre run out and buy this book immediately. It is easily one of the finest fantasy novels I have ever read and easily belongs up there beside such authors as Goodkind, Martin, and Tolkien. This book is well worth the time you put into it and I can't help but imagine the next two will as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.