Peter's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Nov 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in November, 2010

I didn't like this book as much as I thought (or hoped) I would, but I liked enough to continue with the series. I've read many epic fantasy series, and there's always a bit of a learning curve with all the character and place names, but in this book he switched so quickly back and forth that I found myself a bit confused a few times (I'm usually pretty good at keeping everything straight). Like George R.R. Martin, who Erikson is often compared to, he shifts back and forth from story lines--but with Martin you usually stick with one character/storyline for a least a chapter. In this book he sometimes shifted every few pages. By the end of the book, when all of the story lines converged I found it much more enjoyable.

The second contrast to Martin is that with Erikson I didn't find myself particularly attached to any of the characters, where with Martin I felt attached almost immediately. I'm hoping that as the story winds on, the depth of character development (and the attachment that arises from it) will increase. I did think the world Erikson created was unique and interesting (although sprawling and, at this point, a bit hard to get my head around). I also did particularly enjoy a few of the characters including Sorry, Tattersail, Lorn and Kruppe. Here's hoping that it gets better with time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.