Kireem's Reviews > Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

1919840
Jan 27, 2010

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** In Spells, Laurel is still getting used to the fact that she's a faerie. Her father seems to be handling her identity well, but her mother isn't the same now that she knows the truth about Laurel. The one person who is always there for her is David...but Tamani often lurks in the shadows of her mind. Finally, Laurel is summoned to Avalon for eight weeks after her faerie education is deemed inadequate, and now Laurel must unlock the secrets of her past and make a choice between her two lives.

I expected a lot from Spells, but I have to say that I was sorely disappointed. The beginning is sluggish and hard to get into, and there isn't any action for the entire first half of the book. And when there is, it's awkward and doesn't fit. They're at a party, having fun, and then all of a sudden they're being chased and attacked? I had a hard time believing that.

Laurel's visit to Avalon was eventless, and I couldn't find anything exciting about it. She basically just learned, and then she left. However, I think Aprilynne did a nice job of dropping facts about Avalon without seeming too obvious, which is why this book has two stars instead of just one. I got a wonderful picture of Avalon through her words. There's one thing that really bothered me, though. The World Tree? Seriously? After reading its background and history, I found it way too similiar to the Menoa Tree from the Inheritance Cycle, Christopher Paolini's books. I'm not sure if it's just coincidence or on purpose, but I don't like it either way.

As for the love triangle: I couldn't find any chemistry between Laurel and David. Furthermore, the book was filled with aspects of Laurel and David's relationship, how wonderful Laurel thinks David is, etc., etc., etc. Please. Spare me. I really don't need (or want) to read about Laurel and David kissing, whether it's in a meadow or a car or anywhere at all. I mean, I'm fine if it's a couple of times. But it went overboard. Enough is enough. I seriously think that there's a lot more chemistry between Laurel and Tamani, and even so, I hated the way Laurel treated Tamani. I didn't understand any of Laurel's actions and why she gave up the faerie world for the human one. I understand that she has to protect her family and she wants to stay with David, but when staying in the human world, Laurel will always have to lie to people and have to hide who she really is. I thought that she made the wrong decision in the end.

Overall, Spells created new questions instead of answering them, and I found it extremely difficult to connect with any of the main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spells.