Jenn's Reviews > The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Jan 27, 10

bookshelves: novel, fiction, read-2010, young-adult
Read in January, 2010

I liked this book best of all, though that's probably saying something for the others. Maybe it's because this book had the clearest goal -- a spirited defense of Mount Olympus as it finally comes under attack -- or maybe it's because the two gods who I've been most curious about got some actual character development here. Maybe it's just that it was time for the prophecy to be revealed and played out. Whatever it was, this book was hard to put down, and I was sad when it ended in that specific fiction way -- sad to say good-bye to new friends and recent adventures.

Riordan's background as a mystery writer serves him well in the whole series. Though the prophecy that drives the action is purposely vague, there's never a sense (as in another young adult series about a young boy magician that I could mention) that it's being used to fill in the gaps as we go along. Instead, it's a constant humming in the background that the characters all know -- with the exception of Percy, who finds it out completely only in this book -- and act with full knowledge of throughout.

This felt like the most mature of the books. It's not just Percy's age, though that contributes. In this book, there's more betrayal, and more potential for its recognition, than there ever has been before. I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Olympian.