Tatiana's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Jan 27, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, newbery, children-s-middle-school
Read on April 04, 2010

Actually, I surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying this book. This is why: 1) I rarely like any books whose target audience is middle-schoolers; 2) "When You Reach Me" is a sort of homage to Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time," a novel which I couldn't get myself to finish.

It's a little hard to give a synopsis of the story. 12-year old Miranda's best friend Sal suddenly stops talking to her. The apartment key that Miranda’s mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then Miranda starts finding mysterious notes that plead her to write down all details of the events leading to Sal's estrangement and those that happen immediately after. The writer of the notes is adamant that these details will help to save someone's life...

What follows is a very peculiar mix of mystery, adventure, and time-travel, a story about friendship, family, and growing-up. I am not sure what exactly I liked about the book, I just know that I couldn't put it down. I think it rightfully deserves the Newberry Medal it was awarded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

03/01 marked as: read

Tatiana This is one of those few instances when I thought the book lived up to the hype.

Kristy I've got this in my huge to-read stack... I might have to shift it up closer to the top :)

message 3: by Scribble (last edited Nov 22, 2010 08:21AM) (new) - added it

Scribble Orca Tatiana, thanks for the recommendation. And the fact that you compare it to A Wrinkle in Time is a big plus, as well (I really like it!)

Tatiana That's why I rec'ed it. I saw you gave Wrinkle 5 stars:)

message 5: by Scribble (last edited Nov 22, 2010 10:05AM) (new) - added it

Scribble Orca :D you clever girl!!!! Thank you.

Cassy I rarely like any books whose target audience is middle-schoolers.

I am gearing up to read this book. It's encouraging to hear you like it despite the target age. That was my number one reason for not buying it earlier. And this is the reason I have not read The Lightning Thief.

Tatiana I attempted reading The Lightning Thief, but it was a no-go for me.

Andra I 100% agree with you, Tatiana. I don't know why I like the book, either, I just did. Although it is a little creppy for 6th graders (whom I teach), I think excellence of the storytelling justifies the kinda creepy stuff at the end.

Jamie (ReadsInTrees) Dacyczyn Just finished this book. I too have never been able to finish A Wrinkle in Time, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. A perfect example of why so many childrens' books are better written than most adult novels. A tidy, intense, thought provoking story wrapped up in a snug little package.