Jason Golomb's Reviews > Gladiatrix

Gladiatrix by Russell Whitfield

Jan 27, 10

bookshelves: ancient-rome
Read in September, 2009

I just finished "Gladiatrix"...took me less than a week to eat it up. The plot moves very quickly throughout and the final 150 pages or so simply flew by. I'm very much looking forward to a sequel.

The first 30-50 pages were terrific. The initial character sketching of Lysandra was enticing and beautifully written. Whitfield hit on all cylinders to maximize the opportunity to draw in the reader. The opening sequences contain a strongly written battle and teasing back story.

Pieces of the story are a little melodramatic for my tastes - specifically some of the early interactions between the gladiatricies within their ludus.

I enjoyed Lysandra's training of the troops in preparation of two gladiatorial armies pitched in a large-scale battle (that never actually happens in the story), and I think Whitfield hit on something very strong by adding the broader army elements to the gladiatorial-focus story.

Whitfield managed to create a terrific Scarrow-Duffy super hybrid with plenty of depth and good character development.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gladiatrix.