LP's Reviews > Nation Within: The History of the American Occupation of Hawaii

Nation Within by Tom Coffman

U 50x66
Apr 22, 11

Read from January 27, 2010 to April 22, 2011

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of and current socio-political situation in Hawai'i. I found it a little hard to read at times because it seemed sort of oddly organized and the author sometimes went off on long tangents. If it had been better organized, I would've given it five stars. Even so, it was a very interesting and well-researched history of foreign involvement (sometimes at the request of native leaders) in Hawai'i, which culminated, through a sad conjunction of growing US imperialist aims, in the illegal overthrow and annexation of the kingdom of Hawai'i, against the express will of the native population. This book and some conversations I've had with a few Hawaiians have made me, to a large degree, a supporter of Hawaiian sovereignty (not that I, as a haole, have anything to say about it). I'd like to read more about the movement for sovereignty, and see how its proponents address such issues as how to determine nowadays who is a native Hawaiian and who of the many claimants to the Hawaiian throne is considered the right choice.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nation Within.