Kate's Reviews > Little Earthquakes

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Feb 05, 10

Read from January 27 to February 04, 2010

I truly enjoyed "Little Earthquakes." Jennifer Weiner has a narrative style similar to one of my favorite authors, Melissa Banks. Her female characters are smart, funny, and realistic. As the mother of a 3 year-old and one on-the-way, I easily related to the characters as they came to the end of their pregnancies and became parents. All of the characters deal with the question that I think most of us confront on a daily basis, "Will it be okay?" The character Lia answers that question the most honestly, and it is Weiner's answer as well; we don't know if it "will all be okay." Sometimes life with be overwhelmingly joyful, but it will also be hard, scary, and, at times, tragic. We can't know. Life is full of "little earthquakes" but we keep living. My only critique of the book is the happy ending of every character and how, in the end, each character's husband, although flawed, was a contributor to the happy ending. That didn't seem so realistic to me, but it was easily overlooked as I laughed, cried, and nodded in understanding my way through this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Earthquakes.

01/27/2010 "As a pregnant woman reading this, I have really enjoyed the first half of the book. Very relatable." 1 comment