Krystal's Reviews > A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

2561960
Jan 27, 2010

bookshelves: classics, fiction, coming-of-age
Read in March, 2011

While I am sad I didn't read this book until now, it fits my mood perfectly lately. Francie is strong, brilliant and determined to make something of herself, even though life seems to keep getting in the way. I especially liked the ending. It wasn't happy exactly but it was satisfying, it fit the tone of the book and it fit Francie, who more than any one understood a happy ending wasn't really an ending at all but just the lull before the next challenge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Quotes Krystal Liked

“From that time on, the world was hers for the reading. She would never be lonely again, never miss the lack of intimate friends. Books became her friends and there was one for every mood. There was poetry for quiet companionship. There was adventure when she tired of quiet hours. There would be love stories when she came into adolescence and when she wanted to feel a closeness to someone she could read a biography. On that day when she first knew she could read, she made a vow to read one book a day as long as she lived.”
Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn