Nikki's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

May 03, 10

bookshelves: dystopia, speculative-fiction, steampunk
Read in May, 2010

I never really got into this, and had to parcel it out in small doses, like a chore. I might go back to it someday, because there were parts I liked, and I thought some of the descriptions were really vivid and interesting, and I think some of it is just the mood I'm in lately.

I'm not even sure I finished it off, because I had the ebook and me and my reader have been going through a rough patch (I think we're friends again now), but it was a while ago, anyway, and aside from the brief snatches of description that I loved, I can't remember this very well now. I didn't really get to care about the characters or understand them in the way I like to, or get super-absorbed in the world. I found the start pretty slow, and didn't really find my feet in the world quickly enough: yeah, the reader's got to figure it out for themselves, but if there's too much omitted, it's tough and the mystery gets less, not more, enticing.

It's interesting, though, and I think I will come back to it with fresh eyes when I've chipped away further at the to read mountain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Feel exactly the same about the chore-like small doses. I keep trying, though!

message 2: by J. (new) - rated it 1 star

J. Heh, yet again I look at your review of a book I just finished and it reflects how I felt so well. I felt exactly the same way about it feeling like a chore in the end.