Guy's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

M 50x66
Jan 27, 10

read count: 1

In my class we had the choice to choose between two books to read. I chose “How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents,” written by Julia Alvarez. I personally thought the book was alright. It is not something I would read again but I enjoyed for the most part.
This book is about four Dominican Republic girls growing up in America, while their parents try to keep their heritage and their old ways within the family values and rules. They landed in the U.S. to escape from the cruel dictator that wanted to run them out because of their father’s plot against him. In this book you get to learn about each girl and their story’s of who they are and why. Through both good and bad times you see how each girl grows.
This book is fiction, which disappointed me because I was beginning to enjoy the stories of the four girls. What also annoyed me was the book isn’t not set up in chronological order it is more like random stories from each girl or all. It eventually does connect towards the end but I found it confusing at first.
The author of the book did not grow up in Dominican Republic nor was she born there. She was born in New York. But why they fled from Dominican Republic is because of her father working underground against the dictator.
All in the entire the book was good I do recommend it if you are looking for something easy and interesting to read. You will enjoy it because of its humor and because of the stories.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.