Arya's Reviews > Violin

Violin by Anne Rice

3190260
Feb 02, 11

I own a copy

Considering the level of all Anne Rice's books that I have already read, this one was a complete let down. Perhaps I was expecting something different, as sexy as the books from her vampires series. How upset I was when I found that this book actually tells the story of a woman in such a depression level that it get actually annoying. Amidst her sorrow, this woman meets the ghost of a violinist.

You hopefully suppose that the story is going to improve now that the woman met the subject of the book, but this is actually where the book gets awfully tedious. During the 400 pages of the book, the only thing that they do is argue and scream at each other. As you go through the story you get to the conclusion that, in spite of the bonds that tight them together in the story, whatever still keeps them together is not clear. It's not the violin. Seriously, it CAN'T be the violin because Triana barely played violin. Stephan's attitudes can be justified. Not Triana's.
As for the main character, she tells her weird, non-violin related, stupid story about her bizarre past.

The only part of the book that I effectively liked (and, in my opinion, should've been the core of the book since the first page) was Stephan's story, which could have been better explored but only lasted 10 or 20 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LizzyB Wow. My thoughts exactly when I read this book! I HATED Triana with a passion but was fascinated with Stephan - unfortunately, since the book is told from her point of view, liking the ghost only made me hate her more with every annoying thought that came out of her head. I do recall throwing this book across the room in disgust when I was finished.

message 2: by Arya (new) - rated it 1 star

Arya LizzyB wrote: "Wow. My thoughts exactly when I read this book! I HATED Triana with a passion but was fascinated with Stephan - unfortunately, since the book is told from her point of view, liking the ghost only..."

Which is sad, Stephan's story was so beautiful. The setting was perfect, the plot was perfect, the scenario was perfect. Even the characters in his arc, they were pretty much BEGGING for a story on their own. It had drama, it had style, it was elegant and angsty and everything Anne Rice's books should have, but nooo. Instead we have to cope with a mad woman who is traumatized by a dirty tampex full of ants. I mean, what the hell?

Maria I can't agree more with you, I LOVED Stephan's story (I am violinist), but the rest of the book is trash :( such a pity!

Maria And yes, Triana is so annoying