Jessica's Reviews > The Language of Sand: A Novel

The Language of Sand by Ellen Block

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, read-2010
Read from February 05 to 09, 2010

I won this through the First Reads program and I'm so happy I did. I'm honored to be the first to read and offer a review on this great book! The characterization was fantastic. I truly felt as if I were there on the small Outer Banks community of Chapel Isle. I pictured myself roaming the streets, living there, and being a part of a community like this one that Block created.

The main character, Abigail moves to Chapel Isle after the tragic death of her husband and son to a house fire, which she survives. She is desperate to start anew, while not losing that feeling of family. It is this longing to keep a connection with her late husband which leads her to Chapel Isle...the place her beloved husband summered and adored as a child.

When she arrives the rental she blindly signed as caretaker of the lighthouse, proves to be a questionable decision as the cottage is in horrible disrepair. To make matters worse for Abigail, a thirty-something woman from Boston, the close-knit island community seems to reject her intrusion into the private lives they enjoy off-season. During her first week, Abigail, who is becoming known as Abby (a name she had never liked) among the locals, starts to find her place, making a conscious effort to belong, realizing that life is what you make of it. She does this largely through the aide of two wonderful natives - Merle and Ruth - who embrace her and welcome her when she needs it the most. She in turn extends herself to help a man named Nat, whose reputation is less than perfect among the islanders, but is in need of some grace after suffering a difficult past similar to her own.

Throughout the course of the book, which only spans a little more than a week, a new life...a new persona is developed in Abby, and she sees hope and light for the future. Beautiful story of grief and how life is what we make of it. Highly recommend, and cannot wait for the second Chapel Isle book, slated to come out in 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Sand.

02/05/2010 page 1
0.35% "Just received this today through the First Reads program! Can't wait to delve into it this weekend."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Cheryl-Lynn (new)

Cheryl-Lynn What do you do with the books you win after you read them?

Jessica I actually keep all of my books, whether won or purchased. I do lend out my favorites to family or friends quite often. I'm in two mommies groups and there are quite a few of my girlfriends who are also avid readers who I share with. :-)