Martina the Book Fairy's Reviews > The Iron Hunt

862023
Jan 27, 2010

liked it
Read from January 27 to 29, 2010

The Iron Hunt is an urban fantasy that takes place in Seattle, WA. Maxine Kiss is a demon Hunter, the last in existence. She's decorated by tattoos that by day are her armor, but by night peel off her flesh to become little demons who are her protectors and her only family. She calls them her "boys". Together they are the only thing standing between the good people of Earth and the demons breaking out of "the veil" a metaphysical prison they were put in thousands of years ago.

There were a few things I really liked about this book. The original concept, definitely. Maxine's relationship with "the boys" - they're like very vicious, but endearing & highly intelligent talking pets. But there was a TON I didn't like. First of all, there's a lot of confusion on the part of Maxine. She doesn't have a grasp as to what's happening to her. What is she exactly? How is this person related to her? What is that person's loyalty, etc? And because SHE'S confused, the reader is confused, too - at least I was. It's okay to have a couple of things in question, but in this book it seemed like EVERYTHING was in question and it was just too much. I also just didn't care about Maxine or her romantic relationship with Grant. Maybe there just wasn't enough background written into them. Or emotion. Their relationship was too dry. I do think that, because of the concept, that this series has potential, but at this point I don't know if I'll buy the second book.

I normally like to give a couple similar series, but this time around nothing jumped out at me. Like I said earlier - it seems to be pretty unique.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Hunt.

chucklesthescot I agree. I loved the boys and it was a good original concept but boy was I confused by all the secrets and half explained things. Answering her few simple questions seemed to take up most of the book and I was yelling JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS! The whole labyrinth and wasteland thing just annoyed me as well.