tim's Reviews > The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

Jun 14, 10

Read from May 17 to June 13, 2010

Since discovering David Mitchell a little over a year ago, I have devoured all five of his novels to date. Yet I still cannot say what it is that keeps me impatiently coming back for more.

He is a master of voices. He breathes life into characters quickly and effortlessly. He is not afraid to dive into the unknowable mysteries embedded within us. Time, life, dreams, death. Without the crutches of belief or disbelief, he dances around questions of the soul. His villains are ofttimes as compelling as his heroes, differing only in their intentions. Every word is written with a highly tuned sense of the present moment. Always now.

And still, any list of Mitchell’s qualities will not satisfactorily add up to why I get so much out of his writing. Regardless, within the first page or two in all of his books, I knew I was in good hands and could safely give in to what this reader does best--read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

JSou How you doing with this? Still going good? (Sorry, I'm impatient, and have been trying for days not to bug you about it.)

message 7: by tim (last edited Jun 17, 2010 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

tim I continue to thoroughly enjoy this. Although, admittedly, it is a little slow at times, but never boring. I'm starting to think the slowness may be an intentional effect for intensifying the sense of entrapment that is part of the story. On top of that, I am a slow reader and am purposefully taking my time with this in order to savor my last unread Mitchell for a while.

JSou I know what you mean. I'll probably read this the second it comes out, but then mourn the fact that I've read everything he's written.

BTW, I saw Mitchell was going to be in Portland on July 20. Lucky. Though I'm planning to head out to L.A. when he's there a few days later on the 23rd. Definitely worth a five-hour drive.

message 5: by tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

tim I've been looking forward to seeing him next month, so long as there's still room for me to squeeze in by the time I get off work. If people are willing to drive five hours to see him, I better get there early!

JSou Ha! I figured it would probably be one of the only times I would be able to see him, and I don't think there's another author I would actually take time off work and travel that long to see. But, it's David Mitchell, you know?

message 3: by tim (last edited Sep 05, 2010 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

tim Hi Jessica, I know the official printing is about to be released, but would you be interested in getting the advance copy of this book? Mike Reynolds generously passed a copy my way. I would like to do the same.

JSou Really?! Oh man, you have no idea how happy you just made me! I can message you with my address. I owe you Tim, BIG TIME.

message 1: by tim (new) - rated it 4 stars