Buggy's Reviews > The Switch

The Switch by Diane Whiteside

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: extra-sexy-time, men-in-uniform-af-spc-op, shelf-10, contemp-rom, tie-me-up
Read from November 12 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy

Opening Line:"Beth stood on the street corner, waiting for the light to change."

Oh I liked this one, a different sort of erotica then I usually read wherein the man gets dominated by a woman here. The thing that made this so hot for me is that the man in this case is 100% alpha, a manly man, a decorated military man, who also just happens to have fantasies about being Dom’d by a woman.

Diane Whiteside’s writing is sensual rather than sexy with long drawn out love scenes and tons of reader foreplay. The characters are well rounded and I liked both of them and because theres an actual story here including their families and backgrounds you really get a feel for why they desire what they do. We also get a touching love story, a bit of heartbreak and an exciting ending involving kidnapping (but not in the way you might think) Of course its all been balanced between a ton of erotic lovemaking, using scarves, crops, binding and a lot of other toys, all of which are portrayed in a safe and realistic manner. This isn’t your usual Dom situation though; the woman here doesn’t humiliate her sub or make him dress in leather with a ball gag. Most of the domination is mental rather then physical, like her ordering in restaurants, choosing his clothes or just making him…wait. I have to say I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed these games.

My only problem with THE SWITCH would be the pages and pages (sometimes whole chapters) dedicated to the characters fantasies. Probably some readers will enjoy these detailed mini stories but I skimmed as I just wasn’t interested in reading about knights, pirates, princesses and cowboys getting it on when it had no baring on the story.

Sean and Beth meet in a Seattle bookstore in the erotica section. Two strangers who create a dance while perusing the shelves with glances and brushing bodies, before finding themselves in a backroom. (This chapter is hott) Beth immediately shows herself to be different then other women by taking the lead in their dance; while she herself is surprised by this obvious alpha male’s willingness to submit. Since Beth is in town on business it’s to be a short term affair from the onset and they quickly iron out what each expects from the other. Sean is at first cool with this set up, he finally gets to explore his deepest, hidden fantasies with no strings attached. Our couple meet several more times, with each encounter more intense then the last before one final weekend together in Vegas.

Now the switch part (someone who will both Dom and sub) comes into play because poor Sean (of course) falls in love with Beth, recognizing that they could have much more then just ‘fun with scarves’ together. However unbeknownst to him Beth needs a man who will occasionally Dom her as well and she just doesn’t think Sean is up to it. Will Sean be able to “switch” and fulfill Beth’s fantasies as well?

Yuppers I can recommend this one, a hot, sensual and satisfying read. Cheers
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Switch.

11/14/2010 page 115
38.0% "He blinked in surprise but had the sense to stay still, letting the chemistry build between them."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-26)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 26: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Ooooh...that's good. How is the book?

message 25: by Buggy (last edited Nov 14, 2010 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Its very good and I won't say sexy but sensual. Its about a woman dominating a man which is interesting. The man (Sean) is a former army ranger so he's good at following orders but also a very manly man, not a pushover. Its a diffrent type of read.

message 24: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Sometimes sensual is better than sexy, depending on what you are reading. I'll watch for your review!

message 23: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Buggy, I'm not into a man being Dom'd by a woman - yes, you can call me sexist, LOL - but you made this story sound very interesting. I'm going to add it to my Wish List and think about it. :)

message 22: by Buggy (last edited Nov 25, 2010 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buggy Zosia wrote: "I just wasn’t interested in reading about knights, pirates

But... Pirates, Buggy. PIRATES!!

"

LMAO!!! I don't want to read about any ole pirate, Fabio is of course in a league of his own putting all other romantic pirates to shame.

Buggy Dina wrote: "Buggy, I'm not into a man being Dom'd by a woman - yes, you can call me sexist, LOL - but you made this story sound very interesting. I'm going to add it to my Wish List and think about it. :)"

Sexist--thats funny Thats also what I meant when I said I was "surprised" that I enjoyed this situation so much. I guess its because he's a manly man and its not traditional domination

message 20: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Buggy!!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Buggy! I'm not really into erotica because I don't like reading about menages, anal and heavy BDSM, and from what I've seen of friends reviews, it seems there's a lot out there. Plus, I need a story and emotions in my books.

Buggy wrote: "Of course its all been balanced between a ton of erotic lovemaking, using scarves, crops, binding and a lot of other toys, all of which are portrayed in a safe and realistic manner. This isn’t your usual Dom situation though; the woman here doesn’t humiliate her sub or make him dress in leather with a ball gag. Most of the domination is mental rather then physical, like her ordering in restaurants, choosing his clothes or just making him…wait. I have to say I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed these games."

But this has got me interested. I don't mind a woman dominating a man in that way. In fact, I find that kinda sexy. And the whole switcheroo thing makes it sound even better!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Zosia wrote: "I just wasn’t interested in reading about knights, pirates

But... Pirates, Buggy. PIRATES!!

"

LOL! Ah, that Fabio! He gets around! ^o^

message 17: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review,Buggy! I've never read anything like this. I have a few of her Devil series, but I haven't started them yet. Have you read any of those?

And I STILL haven't read Pirate! I must get that done.

Buggy Wow I'm not getting any notifications tonight

Thanks Ronyell

message 15: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 26, 2010 10:53PM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yeah, the notification thing is wonky ATM.

"Lady Jayne, this was a very different bit of erotica for me, there is an actual story and a ton of emotion here. I also don't like the menages (unless the men are getting it on equally) and try to avoid those but who knew I would like this female domination thingy. I probably wouldn't have if it was the usual dominatrix leather deal but this was more subtle."

The actual story, emotion and subtlety of the DOM is what is making me interested in this one.

"Ah Fabio that picture makes me laugh, then I laugh at the fact that Zosia actually read that book."

Zosia is good at taking some for the team! I LOVE her reviews on these! Too funny! ^_^

message 14: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell You're welcome Buggy!!!

message 13: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Buggy wrote-Nissie No, I had never heard of thi s author before but I wouldn't mind trying something else of hers. She wrote some very good battle (army) scenes in this book i think she would do good romantic suspense. Is that what the Devil series is?

Wow this notification thing is so screwed up! We might as well be sending these comments by The Pony Express. Anyway.. The Devil series is set around the American Civil War period, if I'm not mistaken. I really need to dig those out and give 'em a go. She also has a vampire series.

Buggy I just got all my notifications... 13 hours later. Anyways I'm going to look into the Devil series and wow vampires too I wonder if everything of hers is on the erotic side?

message 11: by Nissie (new)

Nissie I think the Devil series and the vampires are supposed to be erotic. I think I'll try to get to the Devil series sometime next week. I'll let you know.

Still not getting notifications. But I'll try to keep up.

Buggy Yeah definitely let me know Nessie, I looked into the Devil series after you mentioned them and then I remembered having them on a wish list years ago but never followed through, so I'm still curious

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks for the rec. I'm adding this one. Great review, Buggy.

Buggy You're welcome Kristen and thanks! Yeah this was pretty sexy

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) OMG! I can't believe they're asking $15.99 for this ebook! Grrrr Penguin publishing. That's just robbery!

Buggy Thats insane! Good but not worth that much.

Even more for Kindle on Amazon however used PB is .01 cent plus shipping?

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Oh good. Thank you, hon. My mouth dropped when I read the price. Lol.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Ohhhh, sounds good, Buggy!! I'm sold. Great review. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I can't believe that I just paid EUR 11,27 for this book. Sheesh...I hope it's worth it though.

Buggy Yikes Baba! I hope you like it too. Now I feel A little worried. Enjoy girl :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Buggy wrote: "Yikes Baba! I hope you like it too. Now I feel A little worried. Enjoy girl :)"

Hey, it's not your fault. I just hope it's more than good. :)