Buggy's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Megan Hart

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: shelf-11, extra-sexy-time, love-story
Read from January 09 to 14, 2011

Opening line:"This month my name is Mary and apparently, I'm as contrary as the nursery rhyme"

Broken is one of the most amazing books I’ve read in a long time, and author Megan Hart, well wow, I’m just in love with her writing. Reading Broken felt like eating dessert or chocolate, as she has a way of making her words delicious. So perfectly descriptive and achingly beautiful, I only wish I could put my muddled thoughts into sentences the way she does.

This is a unique, very real and somewhat heartbreaking story that will definitely make you stop and think and although categorized as erotica I never felt that the sex scenes were gratuitous instead they seemed to help move the story along which lets be honest is a rare thing. Really, it’s unfortunate that this needs a label at all because it is just so much more the erotica or romance or even a tragic love story -yet it is also all of these.

Despite the complex subject matter I also think we could all find a piece of ourselves in Hart’s multi-dimensional characters. In fact I became so involved with the characters that I felt like I knew them and literally ached along with them. They also had me laughing, crying, sighing, feeling angry, surprised and more then once left me downright stunned. When an author can pull actual emotions out of me then yeah, she’s got a fan.

Sadie and Joe first met on their lunch break, two strangers each needing something from the other. Now over the course of their evolving friendship they continue to meet once a month on an atrium bench and over a bagged lunch Joe tells Sadie about his latest sexual conquest. As the reader we get to hear Joe’s erotic story in first person from his female companions POV (this month my name is Brandy etc…) Joe’s character is left vague in the beginning, because this is after all Sadie’s story however as she gets to know him better so do we, picking up tidbits about his life from his sensual accounts. This stranger that Sadie can’t stop herself from meeting, in the end becomes a fully rounded empathetic character.

Sadie knows that she’s deceiving her husband by living vicariously through Joe’s stories yet she hasn’t physically cheated and at this point it’s the one bright spot in her life helping her deal with a stressful, sleepless and for the most part crumbling marriage.

Sadie met Adam in college and while we do get a few flashbacks to them as young lovers and a general feel for who they were as a couple in and out of the bedroom I personally would like to have seen a bit more of their relationship before Adams skiing accident rendered him a quadriplegic and changed things forever.

Their relationship is complex and Hart is genius here at peeling back the many layers of a marriage that has persevered when so many would have failed. We get Adams seclusion, rage and utter frustration with his body and the world in general, Sadie’s loneliness, guilt, fear and coping mechanisms. I felt like a fly on the wall with this couple, yes it was uncomfortable to bare witness to at times, but also magnificent. I’m really not going to say much else here as this is worth discovering on your own.

This was an absolute pleasure to read and as Megan Harts newest fan girl I’ll definitely be coming back for more. Cheers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

01/09/2011 page 37
10.0% "He unwrapped me like a package, with slow fingers and low murmurs of appreciation. When I was naked, he bent to kiss my mouth again and is body aligned with mine, a puzzle with only two pieces. Adam and me. Fitting." 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robin *loves sexy books* i've really got to read these books. are you reading all of hers? i'm not quite sure of the order, i know a lot of these are related.

Buggy Oh I didn't know any of them were related, I'll have to look into that. I have to say though I have a new fan crush with author Megan Hart, she makes words delicious. This was one of the best books I've read in a long time and I'll definetly be reading more.

message 3: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn This is, once again, another author that people are telling me that I must read. Will have to get to them soon.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Clark 5 STARS REALLY? DAMN I HAVE HAD THIS BOOK SITTING ON MY SHELF WITH OTHERS OF THAT SERIES FOR MONTHS JUST HAVENT GOTTEN TO THEM YET. Man, you all are gonna drive me crazy with how fast you read. I keep pushing more and more books to the front of my reading list. I CANT READ FAST ENOUGH DARN IT!!!

Buggy Colleen, I've been kicking myself too because this sat on my TBR shelf for at least a year. Alongside a couple of her other books which I'm now thankful to have. Get reading girl

Quinn Excellent review, Buggy. This was probably my top read for 2010. Glad you loved it too!

Buggy Thanks Quinn, I can see this being a top read for me this year as well. It was super hard to review because its just so many things

Buggy Thanks Zosia, Thats so funny you say that because I ended up buying this book twice myself, I have no idea what happened to the first copy?? Weird, girl

message 9: by Tammy (last edited Jan 16, 2011 08:41PM) (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Buggy. That's two of you now who have loved it (I think I've read Quinn's review too).

On to the tbr!

Love, Thomas ;P

Buggy Thanks Tammy its an amazing read. Almost as amazing as that mountain of chest hair on your avi!

message 11: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Yes, and can you tell how it turns into that thinner line going down towards the belly....dammit here I go again!!!!

Seriously, about Broken. Did it make you cry?

message 12: by Buggy (last edited Jan 16, 2011 09:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Ha, ha

No Broken didn't make me cry but I can see where it might make others (without heats of stone) loose it because there are some very shocking moments.

I had to go back and re-read to make sure what happened, really happened. I just couldn't believe it. Then I was like, damn, really!? Wow. I loved the ending though if that helps

message 13: by seton (new)

seton Great review, Buggy.

Buggy Hey Thanks Seton

message 15: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Fabulous review.

Another one for the TBR mountain..

message 16: by Mahlet (new) - added it

Mahlet Buggy - fantastic review! I'd recommend you try Megan Hart's Deeper. It's the only Hart book I've read so far, but I bought nearly all her other work on Deeper alone. Never has a story pulled at my heart more~

Buggy Thanks Ruth -I know that TBR problem well

Mahlet, This was also my first Hart read and although I have a couple others of hers on the TBR shelf Deeper isn't one of them, yet. So thanks for the recommendation I'm going to get it.

message 18: by Mahlet (last edited Jan 17, 2011 04:25PM) (new) - added it

Mahlet I let my sister borrow both Deeper and Dirty, before I'd even tried them. So when it came time to jump in, of course I thought the one called Dirty should be first! *g* But my sister insisted that I try Deeper first, and I didn't regret it one bit. I'll look forward to your thoughts :)

Buggy Someone mentioned to me that the books actually have an order and reoccurring characters but I haven't been able to figure that out yet?

message 20: by Zeek (new)

Zeek I read dirty and thought it was smart. But it was very depressing so I havent worked up the courage for this one... plus that cover? why does it look like a little girl?

Buggy I love my romances on the darker side so it worked for me Zeek. And I never noticed the "little girl aspect" on the cover but now that you've pointed it out I'm feeling VERY freaked out, Yikes

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness I love Megan Harts writing style. She really draws
You into her books.

message 23: by Zeek (new)

Zeek oh dont get me wrong- it was very well done. I gave dirty a 4.5 out of 5. But it was a little too depressing for me. Perhaps if I had approached it with a literary feel??

message 24: by Zeek (new)

Zeek Buggy wrote: "And I never noticed the "little girl aspect" on the cover but now that you've pointed it out I'm feeling VERY freaked out, Yikes"

I know right?!

message 25: by Buggy (last edited Jan 17, 2011 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Sam

Zeek wrote: "oh dont get me wrong- it was very well done. I gave dirty a 4.5 out of 5. But it was a little too depressing for me. Perhaps if I had approached it with a literary feel??"

I think you're right about that Zeek, I was so impressed with Hart's writing that the depressing parts of the story were secondary, I love how she makes words beautiful

message 26: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review, Buggy! I really have to pull Megan Hart from the TBR in 2011!

Buggy Thanks so much Auntee, I'm excited because she's a new author for me and now I have her whole library to look forward to

message 28: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I just added yay!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Buggy!

Buggy Thanks Danielle and Lady Jane you beach Bandida you

message 31: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 30, 2011 01:39PM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Buggy wrote: "Thanks Danielle and Lady Jane you beach Bandida you"

Hahaha! ^o^

Aestas Book Blog Is it a HEA ending??

message 33: by Buggy (last edited Aug 27, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Hmmm tough question Aestas. I would have to say no and then ultimately yes. Sorry I can't give a proper answer without spoilering

message 34: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Buggy, I just picked this book up - looking forward to reading it (finally) after reading this awesome review last year.

Thanks again!

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary Judith I have yet to grab a copy if this book. Based on your review, it seems to be more than just an erotic romance which is a good thing. I look forward to reading it.

Buggy Definitely MORE than just erotic romance Mary. Hart is an amazing author