Connor's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

U 50x66
Jan 26, 2010

read count: 67

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents is a collection of stories told by Carla, Yolanda, Sandra, Sofia. Author Julia Alvarez introduces the three at their home and then takes us back in time having the girls tell us each of their own experiences. Their father had to flee the country after being suspected to be apart of a plot against the current reign of government terror. From their privileged lives being pampered at home to the life or an immigrant trying to live in New York “She was too frightened to carry out any strategy”.
Taking the reader back in life through each of the girl’s stories makes it very hard to follow and confusing. This makes it hard to understand the plot of the story if their was any. Also you can not become close with anyone character as it takes you back in time its more frustrating than enjoyable to read. Maybe the book had some deeper, underlined meaning; but it just didn’t do anything for me.
Having this book told from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th person randomly changing is another factor that makes it almost impossible to follow. Each girl has a very unique story behind them but it can be ruined with the format changes for 2nd or 3rd person. I had to read passages over at time just to regain my understanding about what was happening. Contributing to not being able to understand any of the characters. “The words tumble out making a sound like the rumble of distant thunder”.
Not only is this book missing a meaning it also ends abruptly. Leaving you in even more confusion, I had to reread the last chapter just to understand what happened. Bottom line the books change in voice leaves you disjointed and the story seems lifeless. There is no hook that caught my attention and made me want to read this book. The author bring unique characters with interesting back rounds but puts it together in a loose story that leaves me confused and without understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.