Mallory's Reviews > Feuchtgebiete

Feuchtgebiete by Charlotte Roche

Jan 26, 10

Recommended to Mallory by: Bitch Magazine
Read in January, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

(I couldn't find the English edition, but I read the translation, called Wetlands, which--at least the edition I read--has a red cover with a bandaid on it.)

This is the most disgusting book I have ever read. It's raunchy, dirty, vile, distressing, disturbing and hilariously funny. There are parts of it that will definitely make you squirm, but by the end of this book, you'll find yourself rooting--against all better judgement--for the unhygenic, sex-obsessed anti-heroine, Helen.

After what the dust jacket calls only "an intimate shaving accident" (you can use your imagination for the sake of keeping this review PG) Helen lies recuperating in a hospital bed. There's not much to do, and she's bored. So she treats(?) the reader (and various hospital staff) to intense description of her sexual fetishes, poor hygiene habits and memories of her messed up childhood and family.

And you'll like her anyway.

This book is, if nothing else, different enough from anything I've ever read to make it worth your time and $15 paperback. While I don't think I will re-read this one anytime soon, I'm glad I had the very unique experience of having picked this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feuchtgebiete.