Kari's Reviews > The Grass is Singing

The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing

F_50x66
Jan 26, 10

Read in January, 2010

Okay, I know I am giving only 4 and 5 star ratings today. But that's because I haven't read any crap books recently!

This is Doris Lessing's first book, and it's pretty astounding with that in mind. Lessing has a quality I don't quite know how to describe, where she is able to tell a story without spelling out all of the details for you like most, lesser authors do.

This book is brutal in its depiction of racism in 1940s Africa, and if I didn't know more about the author, and if I hadn't caught on to the fact that on the two or three occasions where she steps back from her protagonists she very subtly denounces the racism that is central to the story, I would have thought the author shared those views. It is this, and the fact that I couldn't stop reading the book though I detested the protagonists (and virtually every character in the book, for that matter), that shows what a gift Doris Lessing truly has. She is head and shoulders above most other living authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grass is Singing.