Taylor's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Nov 06, 2014

bookshelves: non-fiction, favorites, own, recommended, desert-island-picks, signed, real-people, murders-and-mysteries, if-you-liked-the-movie, country-mouse
Recommended for: everyone.
Read in September, 2006

Note, February 2014: I was just rereading this review, and FUNNY STORY, I moved to a small town. Not so much a big city person as I had originally thought...

Original review, circa 2007: I love this book to the point where I don't even really know what to say about it, because nothing I can say about it will be good enough to explain just how incredible this book really is.

After reading this book, I had to restrain myself from booking a flight to Savannah. It makes you want to be there, it makes you want to know the people, it makes you want to pick up and find a place just like it so you can move there. I am a city person through and through, but this book made me want to move to a small town. The characters are so remarkable, so interesting that you can't believe they are real people. This books makes you proud to be a human being as much as it makes you laugh at our ridiculousness.

A NOTE ABOUT THE MOVIE: don't see it before you read the book. (but if you have seen the movie and haven't read the book, please read the book because it's so much better.) while the movie essentially leaves no doubt about the actual account of the murder that it focuses around, the book does not. and the book is also not nearly as centered around Jim Williams as the movie is.
82 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

03/12 marked as: read

message 1: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane I like your review because you add in a note about the movie - which i did see and liked very much - but I did not read the book. I know, I must!

Taylor yes, you must! the book is so much better. I liked the movie a lot, but nothing beats the book.

Alyson Taylor, I DID go to Savannah after reading this book, and doing so absolutely made the story come alive. You have to go!

Taylor Awesome, Alyson! I am going this summer :)

message 5: by Meryl (new) - added it

Meryl Started reading it because I WAS in Savannah. Since I'm reading it on my Nook, I've got lots of stuff highlighted :)

Cassandra Alexander I went to Savannah and I have to say that the town was so beautiful and holds such a grand sort of mystique that it makes you fall head over heals. I wish I never had to leave. I decided I just HAD to read this book after departing.

Zilverña hahaha... I was encouraged to read this because of your review. And I've just finished reading it, actually. and I had no feeling of any regret after reading this book. :) Truly, this is a remarkable one. :)

Stephen Robinson I'm quite a fan of Savannah, but read this book after visiting there. However, Beware of Falling Angels, which Is also amazing, inspired me to go to Venice. I booked the trip days after reading it.

Janezita Rodriguez I read this book as a teenager....and its been over 10 years and I am finally here and going tomorrow to Bonaventure Cemetary to visit the place I have always read about! So excited! I will post pictures in my facebook account! feel free to add me! www.facebook.com/janezita143

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Dillon I am loving this book & I have to say that your review is excellent . I started to explain how good this book is & realized that I couldn't do it justice.The first thing I said to my wife is that we have to visit Savannah.

Lateefah I guess I like both the book and the movie. Have the VHS and the DVD, and a first edition autographed copy of the book. There are things the book accomplishes which the movie does not. However, I would also say there are things in the movie that the book doesn't do as well, either. The Lady Chablis comes to mind, for instance. Keeping in mind that she played herself in the movie, I felt like the book fell short of really capturing her.

message 12: by Ap (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ap I think going to Savannah is a must if you read this book, because the book refers to so many of the streets and squares and in order to understand what is going on you need to know where everything is taken place.

message 13: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Cooper I read the book before visiting Savannah and was totally enthralled by the story. I loved Savannah and Bonaventure cemetery. The book is one of my all time favourites and I cannot wait to revisit Savannah. I didn't want to leave.

message 14: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn Urette