Aubrey's Reviews > Searching for Hassan: A Journey to the Heart of Iran

Searching for Hassan by Terence Ward

May 05, 10

Read from April 06 to May 05, 2010

On the bright side, this book had moments that were engaging, insightful, or enlightening, but only moments. For example, I loved learning about the origin of the Sunni/Shia divide. I enjoyed the glimpses into Iranian history and culture and now have a better understanding of how much I *don't* know.

However, in general, I found the story and history difficult to follow. All the places, names, and history were so unfamiliar that it was difficult to digest in this format (without maps, time lines, photos, etc...).

I also resented the generally anti-American sentiment throughout. It was often blatant, obnoxious and offensive. While Ward is entitled to his opinion, it made me wonder who his intended audience was. If he is writing to an American audience, his American readers might feel put off by his blanket statements describing them "arrogant, smug, narrow-minded, and naive." (pg 152)

So, I didn't finish it. I read just past the photos in the middle. I'm sure there are plenty of better books to widen my understanding of Iran.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for Hassan.