L11-Mary Utterback's Reviews > The Other Side

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: african-american

This is a story of prejudice. An african American girl and a white girl live on opposite sides of the fence. They are curious about each other but have been told by their mothers that they are not to go over to the other side. There are beautiful illustrations that tell the story themselves and put you there with a fence in between. you and your curiousity. The book leaves your heart warmed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

L11-Mary Utterback I read this book for another class a couple of years ago. I loved this book because I think there is a lot of symbolism, even though it is a picture book. I have used this book as part of a character education unit.

message 3: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory The first time that I read this book it did not stand out to me for some reason, but after reading your review I went back and gave it another look. Now I see why you love it so much.

Beth Hermes This is a great book. It's refreshing to go back to a child's point of view, so pure and innocent. Then how the parents are the ones who instil the notion that there is a black side of town and a white side of town. I also liked the part when they were talking about how one day someone is going to break the fence down. There are so many lessons and symbolism in this story and by sharing this book with others is a great step in "breaking the fence".

Q_Barb I also read this before, and it so hit me hard for the silliness of the prejudice and the heavy potential consequence of that prejudice. It was idealistic, but I think with all the different readings since then of different genres and formats, this is the world I have always aspired to, was led to, gently, by parents who struggled with their own fears and beliefs,growing up in the the Great Depression, World War II, the idealism of that war's aftermath - and moving forward to their own lives and raising of famiiies and my own experiences growing up in the 60s and 70s.