Amanda's Reviews > From the Corner of His Eye

From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz

Feb 12, 10

Read from January 26 to February 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This is the Dean Koontz book I've read, so I wasn't really sure what to expect.
For the most part I liked the book. At first I thought it might have a bit of a science fiction component to it. The story is interesting and I like how all these characters who at first seem so distant come together.
The characters were the best part of the book. I think that was part of the problem. The author builds up this huge conflict and creates a ton of tension between Enoch Cain and Tom Vanadium. I expected that there would be some big battle at the end where Vanadium would defeat Cain. But at the same time there's the whole Bartholomew plot line. Somehow a blind little boy is supposed to defeat the evil man. This is where the disappointment begins for me. Neither Vanadium or Barty really defeat Cain. There's no big fight at the end. Another character quickly and easily gets rid of Cain and that's the end of it. Neither Vanadium or Barty has much to do with it. Both are there and Barty's actions distracts Cain long enough for Angel to push him into another dimension, but it's over too quicly and easily for all the build up that moment received. It would have been nice for the book to have returned to Cain's point of view once more to see what became of him and how he felt about being defeated.
The other area I was disappointed in was the ending. It's a pet peeve of mine when books don't really end. So Barty and Angel's big destiny was to have a child together who has incredible powers. That's fine, but I want to know why she's so important, what it is that she does. Maybe there's a sequal to this book that I don't know about that deals with Mary and then that makes it slightly less irritating. I guess what I'm getting at is that I want everything resolved by the time the book ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Corner of His Eye.

01/27/2010 page 38
02/09/2010 page 506
65.89% "I'm quite far into this book and I'm still not sure what to think of it."
02/11/2010 page 324
42.19% "I'm really curious to see how this turns out."
show 9 hidden updates…