Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > The Butter Battle Book

The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss

Nov 28, 11

Read on November 28, 2011 — I own a copy

Mom's Review: Absolutely brilliant book about diversity, acceptance and the stupidity of war that is just as relevant today as when it was written in 1984 (although obviously written years earlier). Done with Seuss' usual delightful artwork and wonderful rhyme, it is one of those stories that will stand the tests of time. This is one of my favorite books of all time ever since it was introduced to me by my professor for the Children's Literature course I took in college. I am still amazed that this book has been challenged or banned from various libraries since it was originally published. I think they miss the whole point of what Seuss was trying to get across -- but than again anyone who bans book aren't exactly working with a full deck. (Jake: Doesn't that mean you are prejudiced against book burners Mom: Smart ass!)
Mom's Rating: 10/10

Jake's Review:
Jake: So mom these people are fighting over the way they butter their bread, isn't that kind of stupid.
Mom: You remember how we talked about Russia and the Cold War
Jake: Ohhh, I get it he's talking about the Russians and the Americans and he is teaching me a moral lesson that fighting over being different is kinda dumb -- mom Seuss is kinda like you eh?
Mom: Dude that is the nicest thing you have ever said - come give me a hug
Jake: Dad, mom's getting all girly again - make her stop
Mom: Now I am going to teach you another term - misogynistic pig

Jake: The book is pretty good with fun pictures and I like the way he rhymes everything. I can see why mom likes it, Dr Seuss is one cool dude. It is kinda depressing and I didn't like that at the end you don't know find out if they did blow each other up.
Jake's Rating: 9/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butter Battle Book.