Julia's Reviews > Winter World

Winter World by Bernd Heinrich

Jan 26, 10

Read in December, 2009

Although I would agree with every other reviewer on this site that "Winter World" is a facinating read, accessible to a non-scientist, has gorgeous wildlife sketches by the author, and perfectly compliments a snowy day in my cold weather clime, I would add one other accolade to the pile: it completely changed the way I now look at the wild animals that share this frigid corner of Ohio with me, and made me respect them all the more. They are not beggars that live on the warm-heartedness of humans and our food handouts! They are formidible challengers to the he*l that winter can be here, and their powers of overcoming its hardships have been honed and refined though millions of years of precise evolution. Want to have your mind blown with cold-weather adaptibility? Read the chapter on the hibernation techniques of artic birds, whose very blood has anti-freeze chemicals in it yet unknown to science! You will be facsinated by the author's own dedication to trial, experimentation, and research, and his many talents that made this book possible. Just one caveat: it is a long book, and I have to admit I still have the final chapters to read. But it is also a book that can be picked up and put down (some would say it could "hibernate" ha, ha) at will, with very self-contained chapters. This classic will certainly stand the test of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter World.