Jane's Reviews > The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers

The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein

F_50x66
Jan 26, 10

Read in January, 2008

Wow. I'd thought I'd reviewed/recorded this book, but when I was looking at my "read" books just now, it wasn't among them. I actually can't recall exactly when I read this book, but it's one of the best I've read in a long time.

Details are now a bit fuzzy for me, but Harry Bernstein (who was in his 80s when he wrote this) is an incredible writer who made me feel an immediacy about everything he was describing. The "invisible wall" is the dividing line between the Jewish and Christian families in, I believe, a poor English town in the early 1900s. Bernstein's father was abusive, his mother was patient and resourceful, and Bernstein weaves quite a tale of his older sister's forbidden love for a Christian boy and the outcome of their romance.

I remember thinking at the time I read this that I hoped for little more than that Bernstein would maintain his health and sanity long enough to write another book (he was reportedly working on one) because I enjoyed his first one so much that I couldn't wait for a second. I highly recommend this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Wall.