JamesM's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

U_50x66
Jan 26, 10

This book is written in many perspectives. The point of view shifts between chapters so it is hard to follow. The perspectives it shifts to be the family members of the Garcia family. Where there are four sisters who it mainly evolves around. The sisters, Carla, Sandra, Yolanda, and Sofia, are Dominican Republicans who had to leave because of their father was part of a plot to overthrow the dictator.

The many ways the story is told is very confusing because some parts have already happened but then you learn about the event later. Such like when you hear about the kitten leaving in Chapter 15 and this event foreshadows to the past event in Chapter 11 when the Garcia family leaves the Dominican Republic.

The one good thing about this book is the way Julia Alvarez explains and depicts events. Such like in the last chapter she states “There are still times I wake up at three o'clock in the morning and peer into the darkness. At that hour and in that loneliness, I hear her, a black furred thing lurking in the corners of my life, her magenta mouth opening, wailing over some violation that lies at the center of my art.” (290). Julia uses her talent of irrepressible spirit in the last lines of the novel.

I wouldn’t suggest reading this book just for the writing styles Julia Alvarez uses because it gets shunned over by the confusing chapter sequence and points of views.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.