Dave's Reviews > How the García Girls Lost Their Accents

How the García Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez

M 50x66
Jan 26, 2010

it was ok

I had to read the book How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez for an English assignment. I figured it couldn’t have been too bad because a teacher was offering it to us, but I guess how good a book is really depends on the person. In my opinion, this book wasn’t 3 star material. I felt it limited how much you could delve into the storyline and that it felt like I was just staring at pieces of paper day after day.
The story is about 4 girls who had to flee the Dominican Republic to the United States because their father got in trouble with the government and asked the CIA to get them out of the country. Personally, I felt that this kind of situation was over used. It is overused in movies, books and TV shows; most likely because some people are drawn in to reading or seeing a situation where people run for their lives. Due to the fact that it is overused however, the book kept me at an emotional distance for the most part.
Another thing about this book is that it is told in reverse chronological order. This, to some people, can either be frustrating or confusing. I can tell that Julia was trying to lure people into the story more by making you want to read the story to see why things happened, but this was just not the case with me. I felt like I was just trolling along, picking up minor details as I moved through the book. The book lacked in detail as well. All the characters seemed the same to me, they were all pretty much the same person. At some points, I had to look at the corner of the page to see whose name was there, just so I knew who I was reading about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the García Girls Lost Their Accents.