Adrienne's Reviews > Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species by Michael Keller

Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novel, science, evolution
Read from February 14 to 17, 2010

I always wanted to know what I did or did not know about this most divisive of books.

My reaction to the science was unusual: there were surprising tidbits and ramifications of "survival of the fittest" I had not previously realized and yet at the end of the book it all seemed like common sense and I can't think of what I learned that was new. The science is truly like that, both complex and simple at once.

This was a great introduction and good for beginners, but the prose was a little thick and hard to read at times.

The historical context of where science was before him and where it went after him was a great addition to the book itself, and the illustrations were also a bonus, giving shape to theories as textbooks and their pictures do. Yet as a comic adaptation this version of Origin of Species is even that much more accessible without losing the grandeur of Darwin's life work and all that follows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.