ryan's Reviews > The Tao of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

May 02, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: philosophy-religion
Recommended for: someone interested in taoism

I was sitting in a coffee shop recently with a young woman who described herself as a Taoist Pagan Pantheist. My first thought was, "what the heck is that?" Luckily what came out of my mouth was slightly more tactful, "describe that for me, I've never met someone who described herself that way" (Translation: what the heck is that!).

After we talked for a while, she recommended I read this book. So here's my synopsis - pretty fascinating book, actually. I'm looking forward to getting together with her again to discuss it.

The Tao of Pooh was a very enlightening book. Besides just giving a very simple and entertaining explanation of the essence of Taoism (through the eyes of that crazy little bear), this book challenged modernist assumptions on many levels and in some ways was very refreshing.

"From the Taoist point of view, while the scholarly intellect may be useful for analyzing certain things, deeper and broader matters are beyond its limited reach (24)...and one sometimes gets the impression that those intimidating words are there to keep us from understanding. That way the scholars can appear Superior, and will not likely be suspected of Not Knowing Something" (28).

"But sometimes the knowledge of the scholar is a bit hard to understand because it doesn't seem to match up with our own experience of things. In other words, Knowledge and Experience do not necessarily speak the same language. But isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?" (28-9)

"Now, scholars can be very useful and necessary, in their own dull and unamusing way. They provide a lot of information. It's just that there is Something More, and that Something More is what life is really about" (31).

My only critique of the book is that it is purely theoretical. In some ways it does the very thing it critiques - only exists in the abstract area of the mind - there is nothing practical. It left me wondering what Taoism looks like in the life of a real person. What would it look like in my life? How does it transform my relationships? How does it connect me to something bigger than myself? How does it lead me to change the world? How does it encourage me to pour myself into community or the lives of other people? How does it help me change the shit of my life or heal my brokenness?

This is the first book I've read on Taoism and so I don't know whether there is something out there that addresses some of my questions or not. I don't know whether there is a more concrete story of the life of a Taoist or not (if someone knows of one, I'd love to read it - something similar to Blue Like Jazz?). In fact, this book leaves me wondering whether Taoism has anything to offer me other than some good, abstract ideas to think about. At the same time, I want to avoid being too critical and demanding of a book that isn't meant to be exhaustive about its subject.
51 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Pooh.

04/02 marked as: read

message 1: by terry (new)

terry Hmmm. Doesn't the "scholar" analyze various systems that have been formulated by others as attempts to explain "Something More? " Doesn't she or he compare, contrast, and interact with these systems proposed by others, and in the end, add her or his own experience - complete with her or his own blessed bias - in order to express a fresh "Something More?" It seems an easy out to eschew (what? prideful?) scholarship and to choose to live in one's own world with one's own "Something More" - and feel superior to those "scholars". If deeper, broader matters really are beyond the limited reach of scholarly intellect, then is the only alternative found in sharing our individualism (Oh, cool, you really experienced that? Good, but MY experience is what nails it for ME.)? Perhaps the deeper, broader matters are beyond the limited reach of us all, and we truly need something more. Maybe I misunderstand - I've not yet read Pooh's stuff yet - but I rather appreciate revelation.

Ƥαʋℓα Я ♏❥ "a Taoist Pagan Pantheist"! I think I've finally found the right description for my beliefs! Looking fwd to read the book...

message 3: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Nutsugah It's interesting to me that you compared this to Blue Like Jazz - that and Tao of Pooh are two of my favorite books and I find them to have much in common. Although I think Tao of Pooh is lovely and has a lot to be gained for people who like trying to apply that kind of abstract thinking, it is...well, really abstract. In my opinion, Jack Kerouac's life as described in On the Road is a pretty good practical application of the "Western Taoism" (if you can call that a real thing) that Hoff is trying to explain. If you haven't read it, that's my suggestion!

message 4: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam "Change your thoughts - Change your life: Living the life of the Tao" by Dr. Dwayne W. Dyer is a book anyone interested in Taoism should read.

Kathleen Curry Ha good now read Tao Te Ching :)