vylit's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: fiction, 2010, coming-of-age
Read in January, 2010

I heard this was a really amazing book, and I don't quite understand. I mean, I found the writing plain in a way that is stylistically interesting rather than boring, so that was interesting. I found the characters other than the narrator to be fairly accurate and believable. It was actually nice to see that they allowed characters to be intelligent and do drugs and drink, which is my experience with high school.

But honestly, it was uncomfortable to read a book about someone this screwed up and socially awkward, but while it is sometimes good to get those awkward feelings from books, my frustration was with the fact that Charlie's life was completely incomprehensible.

I don't care how nice Patrick and Sam are -- they are both fairly normal, functioning high school students, and I don't believe for one second that they would have invited someone like Charlie to hang out with them. I find the ending with Sam and him as well as his relationship with Mary Elizabeth to be completely unbelievable. He cried all the time! He was awkward and socially inappropriate! He was younger than all of them, which is so taboo for high school girls.

And the revelation about the aunt in the end seemed -- OK, the aunt was brought up often enough that it was obvious that she was a key character, but the ending still seemed a little out of nowhere, and I don't think it was necessary.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.