David's Reviews > The Food of the Gods

Jun 12, 13

liked it
bookshelves: novel, science-fiction, i-have
Read from May 04 to June 12, 2013

Just to be upfront about it, the only reason I picked up this book was because I had rather liked the cheesy Food of the Gods movie adaptation (the 2nd one). I already had known it won't be anything close to the movie and I was right. The movie sort of just took the idea of the Food and the giant rats and made it into a monster movie.

I found the prose to be rather antiquated and I had to read some sentences carefully. As the foreword mentioned, it's unfortunate that the prose didn't age well.

The story goes around following the viewpoints of the two scientists, the people who work for or with them, and a few children of the Food. It may feel a little disjointed in the beginning, but it all comes together towards the end. In a way, I thought it was a pretty effective way to try and present what's happening from different perspectives.

And again as mentioned in the foreword, there's a deeper meaning to the plot. It touches on Man's nature and Man's tendencies. In a way, it's rather contemporary (since Man's nature hasn't really changed all that much in a 100 hundred years I think). It asks questions more than it gives answers. The book doesn't really provide a conclusion as you'd expect of a story - in fact, it really raises more questions. I think that was the idea behind the book. In essence: how do you deal with change?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Food of the Gods.

05/04/2013 marked as: currently-reading